News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Any new ways to prevent Win10 Home automatic updates?

Posted on greenbergman Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Any new ways to prevent Win10 Home automatic updates?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        greenbergman
        AskWoody Plus

Woody’s Defcon 2 alert today once again strikes fear in my heart. Unless there’s something new, I haven’t found a way to control when Windows 10 Home updates. Setting WiFi connections to metered has no effect. (Though, interestingly, I have to turn it off in order to update the Office Suite.) And if I leave my computer unattended for any relatively short period of time, MS is likely to start the update without my being able to delay it. Usually at the least opportune time.

Grrr…  good thing I made an OS image the other day.

• #2084404 Reply
        mledman
        AskWoody Plus

In settings > Update & Security > pause updates for 7 days or advanced options > select date, you can pause updated op to 35 days.

Win 10 home - 1909
        Attitude is a choice...Choose wisely

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2084431 Reply
          greenbergman
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks Miedman. (And not a moment too soon. The update window just popped up!) Is that a new option? I’d read that some user control was on the way, but didn’t realize it had filtered down to the Home version.

• #2084850 Reply
            mledman
            AskWoody Plus

It was added in the 1903 home release.

Win 10 home - 1909
            Attitude is a choice...Choose wisely

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2084419 Reply
        Bluetrix
        AskWoody MVP

You don’t say what version of Windows Home you have, that will lead to guesses by respondents.

As far as new ways, if you have 1903 or 1909 you can delay the updates for a short time.

As far as old ways, those remain the same.

1. Totally disconnect from the internet (WiFi included) and stay that way.
        2. Upgrade to Windows Pro
        3. Upgrade to 1903 or 1909
        4. Third party software

#1 isn’t practical if you want to use the internet.

#2 cost varies, $99 is advertised

#4 Easy to use programs like Stopupdates10 allow you total control.

1 click stop, 1 click allow. There are many other 3rd party programs out there.

The pundits on Askwoody suggest item 2&3, they don’t recommend software not from Microsoft to do this task. Clicking on #4 link will take you to the download page on Oldergeeks.com for that program, it works for me. Scroll to bottom of page.

HTH

3 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2084432 Reply
          Ascaris
          AskWoody_MVP

The pundits on Askwoody suggest item 2&3, they don’t recommend software not from Microsoft to do this task. Clicking on #4 link will take you to the download page on Oldergeeks.com for that program, it works for me. Scroll to bottom of page.

I also use third-party update blockers for my Windows 10 installations (on my Swift and G3), even though they are not in regular use.  If I do decide to boot 10, it’s because I want to check something or do something right now, so hours of updates deciding to start while I only intend to be in 10 for five minutes could be really annoying, as would be the choice of “Update and restart” or “Update and shut down” but no update without shutting down option.  One way or another, I am not going to wait for Microsoft to relinquish control of my PC, so it’s better to block updates than to force the PC off and risk messing something up.

I don’t really need the update blockers as much as I used to, though, for these infrequent excursions into Windows 10 land.  I’ve shrunk the Win 10 partitions to the point that there’s only a few GB of space in each one, so the massive upgrades won’t stand a chance of working.  I think of it as a serendipitous side effect!

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.18.4).

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2084433 Reply
          greenbergman
          AskWoody Plus

Sorry about not specifying the version. I figured it would be obvious, since I hadn’t been able to avoid updates, that I was on the most current version (1903).

And, yes, I’ve been debating springing for the Pro version. There was some reason other than the cost that I didn’t want to do it – but of course I don’t recall what it was.

Thanks everyone. Potential disaster averted (for now).

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by greenbergman.
      • #2084517 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Setting WiFi connections to metered has no effect.

Under “metered” setting click on “Set a data limit…” > Set Limit.

Mine set to Monthly, 0, no Unit – seems to be the default.

cheers, Paul

• #2084684 Reply
          greenbergman
          AskWoody Plus

The default (which I haven’t touched) is set to Monthly, with nothing entered for the Monthly Reset Date, 0 for Data Limit, and nothing entered for Unit.

• #2084518 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Additionally, under “Windows Update” > Advanced options, there is a toggle for “Dopwnload updates over metered connections…”. Ensure it’s Off.

cheers, Paul

• #2084576 Reply
        anonymous

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wumt_wrapper_script.html

I use this to delay Windows updates

• #2084703 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wumt_wrapper_script.html

I use this to delay Windows updates

I use this to actually disable/prevent auto updates on Win10 Home edition

btw, WUMT wrapper script is now called Sledgehammer

• #2084737 Reply
        Win7and10
        AskWoody Lounger

I have 1909 in Win 10 home, set up the new PC over the holidays and voila! 1909 came down the chute! Therefore, Windows update is on Pause for max amount of days.

Win 7 Home Premium x 64 SP1 (DELL INSPIRION i5) Still Alive!
        Win 10 Home 1909 (HP ENVY i7)

• #2085578 Reply
        Linda2019
        AskWoody Plus

I have used “pause” and “metered” and it did prevent updates from automatically installing.

What I miss about Windows 7 is the ability to read information about the update .. like size, date it was published, etc.  I also used to like to install one update at a time… so… the restart for one update at a time, allowing the system to pricess the update after completion for a while before moving on to the next update.  It was easier to isolate problems with any update.

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Any new ways to prevent Win10 Home automatic updates?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.