News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Anybody tried StopUpdates10?

Home Forums Tools Anybody tried StopUpdates10?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by

PKCano 1 month ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

We’ve had considerable discussion about WUMT (Windows Update Mini Tool), WUMgr, O&OShutup10. I don’t recommend any of them because I just can’t bring myself to endorse a program that intentionally sits between you and your patches. But that’s just me.

I got an email from someone who’s asking about StopUpdates10. Same basic idea.

Does anybody around here have experience with StopUpdates10?

• #348516 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

Looks like a new program. I had never heard of it before.

• #348526 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

@bluetrix and others have posted about it 13 times over the last 10 months:

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/search/StopUpdates10/

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #348540 Reply

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

Gack. I should’ve searched first!

@bluetrix – Have an update?

I was sold on StopUpdates10, it was the 1st program I found that did the grunt work of reg changing with a revert/off switch built in. Then @microfix introduced me to O&OShutUp which does the same thing with added features, like telemetry blocking. O&O has on/off switches in the app, it allows one to choose what to block or not. StopUpdates10 is all or nothing, so I switched to O&O, haven’t looked back.
      As @b mentioned, it was already posted about. Hey, I don’t think any of us expect you to read every thread ‘specially one you don’t particularly agree with. 😀 ’twas b4 the merge.
      StopUpdate10 worked as advertised when I did use it, O&O does too, it just offers more options.
      http://greatis.com/blog/stopupdates10 <— If you just want to stop updates till ready
      https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 <— Same, more buttons to play with in app

Edit again to add:
      With O&O, I was able to get rid of SpyBot-Anti-Beacon for telemetry blocking. A 2fer

Windows10 Home 1809 | Mint19 on VM

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #348568 Reply

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

Woodman,
      I went back to see what, if any changes had been made to StopUpdates10 since I last used it.
      There are several additions worth noting. 1st, the program now allows you to schedule pauses in your update cycle.

StopUpdates10 removes limitations for pausing updates:
      You can pause updates until 2099 year.
      You can pause and resume updates as many times as you want.
      You can set different pause date and time for Feature updates and for Quiality updates.

From screenshot note Win7 EOL update nag removal. Odd it is included in a Win10 subject … still.

StopUpdates10

Attachments:
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #348668 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Sounds like this topic would make an interesting and worthwhile article.

Do you feel up to writing it? 🙂

• #348779 Reply

Bluetrix
          AskWoody MVP

Sounds like this topic would make an interesting and worthwhile article. Do you feel up to writing it?

You are mean. You want me to subject myself to sharp objects, (words) never ending critique, (from people much smarter than I) dodging cars in dark alleys, (not everyone agrees with my POV) becoming afraid of my own shadow (people can be sneaky).

Oh, wait … I can hear them now, the thunderous applause, golden objects placed at my feet, being carried off on the shoulders of an admiring public… A Pulitzer …

[snoring] Hey you! Yeah you buddy, it’s closing time,  get outta here, go sleep it off somewhere else!

[chuckle], I’d be happy with a few thank yous.  I’ll be in touch.

3 users thanked author for this post.
          • #348796 Reply

woody
            Da Boss

Slings and arrows (and not so much outrageous fortune) await….

• #348711 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

there are potential issues/problems when using StopUpdates10 with certain firewall or antivirus software like BitDefender Total security and Checkpoint ZoneAlarm as noted on the StopUpdates10 web site. avoid using StopUpdates10 and use an alternative tool if using either BitDefender Total security and Checkpoint ZoneAlarm.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #348789 Reply

Bluetrix
        AskWoody MVP

there are potential issues/problems when using StopUpdates10 // as noted on the StopUpdates10 web site.

I try to include the url of any program I tout, users should always read a developers website for issues that may affect use of a program. Most reputable devs will include known pitfalls. I always do a search before installing any program to see what opinions float in cyberspace. The read me’s aren’t an eula, it does pay to actually read ’em.
        I agree with you, one size doesn’t fit all.

• #348968 Reply

lord koos
      AskWoody Lounger

I’m trying this one: https://www.novirusthanks.org/products/win-update-stop/

These guys have a lot of other interesting freeware utilities on the site as well, including a switch that completely turns of the internet connection, which is handy for my work.  I’m not associated with them in any way, just putting it out there.

• #1847679 Reply

WSNTLS
      AskWoody Lounger

Well Friends,

Looks as though many have their favorites to BLOCK W10, this one has our own from Gibson Research Corp. GRC.Com called “Never 10” a little program written in Machine Language and installs in RegFile to run every time you boot. Steve Gibson also has much data to keep you up on whatever you want. Just search for his site on line two (2) above.

WSNTLS ‘d’ “LoneWanderer”

• #1847748 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Never10 was meant to stop the initial rollout of Win10 from automatically upgrading Win7. It has nothing to do with blocking Windows Update in Win10.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Anybody tried StopUpdates10?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.