News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Anybody use KB4517245 “enablement package”?

Posted on OldPM63049 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Anybody use KB4517245 “enablement package”?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        OldPM63049
        AskWoody Plus

The notes on 2020-04 Cumulative update KB4549951 talk to the fact that versions 1903 and 1909 have a common core operating system with an identical set of system files.  This allows 1903 to be updated to 1909 using an “enablement package” which activates version 1909 features.  The enablement package is KB4517245 which is available on WSUS.  Has anybody tried this technique and does it work?  (Not that I think MS would do anything that would not work.)

• #2266798 Reply
        agarrison1
        AskWoody Plus

I haven’t used it on a large number of machines at my office – think less than 50 – but I haven’t had any trouble doing an update from 1903 to 1909 using KB4517245.

The update takes all of about 2 minutes, does a reboot, and it’s ready to roll after the restart.  There isn’t a Windows.old created.

In my environment, we’re all Win10 Enterprise, and all of the 1903 machines are fresh installs, I haven’t done any in-place upgrades.

Granted, I’m a small sample size, but no issues seen here.

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Anybody use KB4517245 “enablement package”?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.