News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Anyone getting rejected emails from people you haven’t sent them to?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Anyone getting rejected emails from people you haven’t sent them to?

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author

My wife has recently been getting messages in her inbox saying that Edge or Firefox has been unable to deliver an email to ” nofaenocases@yandex.com”  She has never sent an email to these people, and googling the above comes back with “do you mean nofacenocase@yandex.com.”  She has also discovered this company in a dropdown box when she hovers the mouse over the sign in box, because she has several email addresses to do with her work.

Anyone any idea as to where this has come from? Windows Defender and Malwarebytes don’t show any problems.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

This is normal spam behaviour.
        A spammer is using your email address in an attempt to avoid spam filters and if an error occurs on the remote server, you get the error message.
        You can safely ignore these messages and dump them straight in the bin.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
        JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

I had an old email address that had once fallen into spammer’s hands. I used to receive many rejected email notices anytime an error occurred when they spammed somebody’s email box using my email address. A rather frequent occurrence, I might add. Dump away! 🙂

EricB
        AskWoody Plus

It could also be a bit of phishing.  I’ve received several emails about undelivered messages (that I never sent) all of which were attempts to get me to click a link.

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

It could also be a bit of phishing.  I’ve received several emails about undelivered messages (that I never sent) all of which were attempts to get me to click a link.

Dump away! 🙂

EricB
          AskWoody Plus

These emails usually end up in the dumpster (junk folder) automatically.  And I never open them as messages.  On occasion and for amusement I sometimes look at the message source to examine the email headers.

anonymous

I get emails from myself I never sent.  Just delete anything (ph)ishy, assign it as junk.  You can block the address but the people who do this have almost no limit to the number of fake addresses or strange paths they can use.

Dropping gmail helps quite a bit.  Use a good paid service: proton, mailbox, posteo if desired.  Most have spam filters with granularity, block all to block none.

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

Dropping gmail helps quite a bit

I dunno. Gmail seems to have very good spam filters! I have migrated all of my former ISP accounts to Gmail.

I’ve told my wife to mark it as spam and block sender. Funnily enough, she has narrowed this message to one particular friend. I can understand spammers trying to get round filters using my wife’s address for the reject messages, but she only seems to get the reject message when emailing this particular friend. Strangely, the email gets through to her friend, but my wife still gets the reject message.

Thank you all for your replies.

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Her friend is auto-forwarding the email somehow, possibly via a rule. Did the friend move ISP / mail providers recently?

cheers, Paul

Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Anyone getting rejected emails from people you haven’t sent them to?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.