News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Anything like WinPatrol?

Home Forums Tools Anything like WinPatrol?

• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago.
    Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

Hi, I loved WinPatrol, but I think I finally need to stop using the old thing. Is there any program out there that is comparable?

Thanks,

Rick

• #2241950 Reply
        BATcher
        AskWoody_MVP

Two questions:

1. why did you get WinPatrol in the first place, and does it still do what you want?
        2. why do you want to get rid of it now?

BATcher

Ascetics go without, mystics go within.

• #2241975 Reply
        Elly
        AskWoody MVP

WinPatrol takes a snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may have occurred without your knowledge. It was a pioneer in using a heuristic behavioral approach to detecting attacks and violations of your computing environment,and provided an easy tabbed interface that allowed exploration deep inside your machine without having to be a computer expert.

WinPatrol appears to have been abandoned, with no updates since 2017.

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2242050 Reply
        anonymous

Yes, WinPatrol was a WONDERFUL program and was part of my arsenal for keeping my laptop running for 10 years. But as mentioned above, it has been abandoned for a long time with no updates.

Nonetheless, I have used it on my computer up till now, fearing that it is just too old and may have something to do with recent freezing. Just ordered a new laptop, and will not install it. Was hoping that there might be a comparable (up to date) program.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2242116 Reply
        ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

I too regret that WinPatrol has not been supported since 2017, but it still earns its place on my computer for what it does in alerting me to changes.  It appears to make only minor demands upon my system.  I’ll go on using it, unlike those two “brand extensions” Anti-Ransom and Firewall (was Privacy), which were of little worth.

I see they are still selling these products; I don’t know which is more surprising, that they are still selling them, or that folks are buying them.  And they seem to have turned into subscription ware.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

• #2263631 Reply
        WSbellboy
        AskWoody Plus

I too have had Scotty on Patrol on my computer for several years and it still does all I require. I think I will keep it until it starts doing something unusual or fails to notify me when something is amiss.

• #2263711 Reply
        MikeyD215
        AskWoody Plus

Win Patrol was developed originally by Bill Patovlany and sold through his company BillP Studios. Sometime prior to 2017 I have the recollection that Bill, or some family member,  was having some health problems and he subsequently retired and sold the company, which now goes by the WinPatrol moniker. Bill’s delightful blog seems to have disappeared into thin air.

I quite agree that it still is a very useful program, but it is also true that it is not being updated, although it continues to be available and is compatible with WIN 10–at least through my 1903 update. Too bad, it really does warn the user any time there is an attempt to install anything or uninstall something, including critical WIN files. I have been using WP for as long as I can remember, but am at a complete loss as to where I learnt about it. Maybe from Woody or Brian back in the “old days?”

• #2263775 Reply
        WSPerrorist
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve been a longtime user of WinPatrol. It works well and I see no reason not to continue using it.

• #2263820 Reply
        anonymous

I have been using WP for years and was dissapointed to learn when I tried to reregister as a paid user that it is no longer supported. However, with that said, the program, even as old as it is, still catches registry and startup changes which I may or may not have authorized. Like some of the above posters, I see no reason to remove it from my computer. I am running the latest W10 with all updates as well as paid Malwarebytes along with Windows Defender. So far, so good.

Sherm

• #2263975 Reply
        Klaatu
        AskWoody Lounger

WP

Site states, “We’ve already begun work on the next release of WinPatrol.  This is going to be a major upgrade containing upgrades to existing features and some exciting features.”  Appears whoever wrote that is a bit ethically-challenged.  I’m another long-time user.

Attachments:
        • #2264006 Reply
          vlaslow
          AskWoody Plus

You might take a look at Glasswire (Glasswire.com). While it doesn’t have the immediacy of WinPatrol, it does tell you when a never before seen program has been been run for the first time, amount of data being sent/received and by what programs, and other data.

I find it to be complimentary to what WinPatrol does.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2264305 Reply
        oblivion
        AskWoody Plus

As many others here, I’m both still using WinPatrol and disappointed in the new owners apparent abandonment of it.

I have even emailed Bret Lowry (I think!) to ask about WP’s future but, perhaps unsurprisingly, got no response.

I do recall Bill P, when he took the decision to retire, saying that he’d tried very hard to find a good home for Scotty. I imagine he must feel very let down, as WinPatrol was very much his “baby”.

He had another great product too, Task Catcher, that would monitor running programs and restart anything that the user had said should always be running – so if you had both TC and WP, you could ensure that nothing malicious had terminated WP behind your back. Simple, effective and again it’d be good to find a supported equivalent.

• #2267077 Reply
        sb06794
        AskWoody Plus

For those that have found this webpage looking for information about WinPatrol, I found these two links which have historical interest:

1. Bill Pytlovany still has a blog here: https://billpstudios.blogspot.com/  However, the latest posting is dated NOVEMBER 18, 2017.
        2. In the above blog, he has an interesting history of WinPatrol here: https://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2012/11/long-history-of-winpatrol-15-years-old.html?m=1 dated November 21, 2012.

I’ve been using WinPatrol for many, many years, dating back to Windows XP.  It still is working without problems for me.  However, if it does start causing problems, I will sadly retire it.

Viewing 11 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Anything like WinPatrol?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.