News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Apple adds iMac models to Vintage list.

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Apple adds iMac models to Vintage list.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

..In the past, vintage Apple products were no longer eligible for repairs at the Genius Bar or at Apple Authorized Service Providers, but Apple began offering extended repairs of select vintage products in 2018. Many of the iMac models listed below will likely remain eligible for service for the foreseeable future, subject to parts availability.

The full list of iMac models added to Apple’s vintage products list:

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)
        iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
        iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014)
        iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
        iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Mid 2015)..

1 user thanked author for this post.
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

A Mac becomes “Vintage” and then gets security updates only, five years after it was last sold. Two years later, it becomes “Obsolete” and, supposedly, gets no further support, though recently Apple announced that it will be repairing and providing spares for obsolete machines, I think that only if they are still able to run the current version of macOS. Also I seem to remember that PKCano has mentioned that she has received security updates after those seven years, but better check this with her.

As I understand it, this is how this “ageing” of the Macs progresses: my own Mac is a MacBook Pro first sent to market in mid-2015 and last sold on the 12th of July 2018. That means that it will become vintage on July 12 2023 and obsolete on the same day in 2025. But I still may be able to get it serviced by Apple for some years after that.

However, all of the above is true only for as long as Apple does not decide to change the rules and move around significantly the times when a machine becomes first vintage and then obsolete. This is a schedule that has remained unchanged for a number of years, so far.

Betting that things are not going to change drastically for some years to come, I would recommend that those who are looking to buy their first Mac consider a refurbished laptop like mine. Apple sells refurbished Mac computers, so there is a good place to look for one of these. Why one like mine? Because it is the last Apple laptop with two regular USB ports (as well as two of those tiny USB ones Apple likes so much so it is all you get in newer machines) as well as HDMI and Ethernet, plus a socket for the common 3.5 mm stereo audio jack used to plug in earphones with. Also it has a keyboard with the beloved “scissors” key action. And still have the usual f1, f2, f3 … function keys, instead of the funny touch strip that replaced it in later models.By the way, it has an Intel CPU and Apple is now switching to ARM-based CPUS. But has promised to keep supporting the Intel ones (and making the operating system compatible with both types of Mac) “for years to come.” So, if the price looks right, buying a laptop like mine is something of a gamble, but probably a pretty good one to take,.

Just a thought.

It says here it is “the best laptop ever made” (stretching the truth a bit, maybe?):

https://mashable.com/article/rip-2015-15-inch-retina-macbook-pro/

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

2 users thanked author for this post.
          anonymous

Funny that you mention the headphone jack. While Apple axed it on the iPhone, they’ve kept including it on all their MacBook models, including the 12-inch MistakeBook, er, “MacBook”, that first introduced the scissor-switch and its one USB-C port—even that, interestingly enough, still had a headphone jack.

OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

Hmmm… I found here, a moment ago, an Anonymous comment correcting me for stating that the mid-2015 MacBook Pro model has two USB-C ports and I was going to answer with a proper clarification. But, while I was writing this, the Anonymous “2 USB-C incorrect” comment seems to have disappeared. Anyhow, I think the clarification is still worth making, so here it is:

Anonymous, Well yes, tank you so much and pardon my tech French: actually it is one USB-C and one Thunderbolt (I am not sure how is it different from a USB-C).

For those interested:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/thunderbolt-3-vs-usb-c-whats-the-difference

If you buy yourself a MacBook Pro of a model later than mid-2015, be prepared to buy (maybe a lot of) dongles from Apple and to stick them everywhere, if you have a slightly older printer, router with an Ethernet cable connection (so as not to use WiFi), etc., etc.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Apple adds iMac models to Vintage list.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.