News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Apple anti-trust

Posted on DriftyDonN Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Apple anti-trust

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        DriftyDonN
        AskWoody Plus

Last week, the European Commission announced, in response to a complaint filed by Spotify, that it would be opening an investigation into Apple’s App Store practices, which potentially constitutes an illegal breach of EU competition laws

https://protonmail.com/blog/apple-app-store-antitrust/

Moderator edit: please include a snippet of the article, not just a link, to allow people to decide whether to click. I’ve added it for you

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."

• #2285463 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Hugely wealthy multinationals are very powerful and are in a position to pick and choose how they will behave under, or to one side of the existing laws, including constitutions, international treaties on Human Rights, etc., as long as national governments do not work together in a coordinate fashion to make them toe the line: international power vs. multinational power seems like an obvious proposition, but it is not happening nearly enough. Instead, it is a here and there, now and then, in some cherry-picked cases, sort of thing. (I am counting the EU as “one country” here, because it cannot tackle the multinationals with lasting success all by itself, anymore than the US, let’s say, can. Fining a few billion dollars to corporations that make tens of billions a year is, for those corporations, just the cost of doing business.)

Now about applications software, their developers interests and the Apple Store policies:

I have several applications that I bought directly from their developers, not from the Store. In fact, I’ve never bought anything from the Store (I am the proud owner of a Mac laptop and of nothing else that is an Apple product). So it is not quite so that if developers want Apple-device users (at least laptop and desktop users) to buy and use their applications they have to submit themselves to Apple’s designs against their best intentions and their best interests. I imagine there might be something to be gained by developers to make it desirable for them to have their software showcased in the Store, but this does not seem absolutely necessary for them to be in business. I wonder what I might be overlooking here, because I am probably missing something important.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2285524 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I wonder what I might be overlooking here, because I am probably missing something important

It is not about the MAC but about iPhone/iPad Apple apps store, and the 30% cut.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2285605 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks, Alex. But now this question comes up: Why can’t developers of applications for Apple cell-phones and tablets provide them from outside the App Store, just as others can for Macs, such as those that I have installed and am using in mine without any difficulties (e.g.: Malwarebytes (free version) for Macs, Adblock Plus, Webroot SecureAnywhere, Handbrake, etc.)?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Apple anti-trust

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.