News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Apple Card is Here

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ScotchJohn 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Apple Card has arrived. I actually received an invite a few days ago for it. I haven’t signed up yet since I need confirmation on the methods you can use to pay it off. I need to know if you can pay via a check in the mail, or if it requires a linked bank account, if a savings account will work (my bank has my checking account locked down from online transactions for security reasons, but I have a small savings account I could use).

I also read in the past once Apple Card launched, it would restrict what you can do with other credit cards (such as sending money with Apple Pay in iMessage with any credit cards but Apple Card). It would be great to also receive confirmation on this (since I use only credit cards and not debit cards).

Nathan Parker

• #1913452 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

An interesting development, Nathan.

For those who might want to know a bit more about this:

https://www.apple.com/apple-card/?rid=287-cid%3Dapy-311-100000070000-100000000000004-301100000000124

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/apple-card/

From this “Mac Rumors” article:

Requirements:

To get an Apple Card, you need to be 18 years or older and be a U.S. citizen or a lawful U.S. resident with a U.S. residential address (no P.O. Box).

An iPhone running iOS 12.4 or later is required to use the Apple Card, and it will not be available if you do not have an iPhone. Two-factor authentication must be turned on, and you must be signed in to iCloud on your iPhone with your Apple ID.”

This sort of thing is not all that unusual with big retailers. I imagine that the main point, for them, is that if people buying their products pay them with, as in this case, their own company’s cards, they don’t have to pay the percentage of the money they get for those sales that they would be charged by another credit card company if the cards of that company were used instead. While, at the same time, they can charge that percentage to any business that gets paid with their card for their own sales.

Other big companies have gone into finance while their main business expertise was in making things and selling them. And, time and again, they have ended up divesting of their finance departments and selling them to concentrate, once more, on their core business and bring back their books to an even keel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divestment

It will be interesting to see how this new financial venture of Apple turns out.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1913457 Reply

NetDef
      AskWoody_MVP

First time I’ve ever seen a credit card linked to a mandatory hardware requirement . . . This requires much thought. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Okay done thinking.

No thanks!

~ Group "Weekend" ~

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1913458 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

First time I’ve ever seen a credit card linked to a mandatory hardware requirement . . .

It’s definitely strange since if something happens to the hardware, it can get messy.

Nathan Parker

• #1913523 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

First time I’ve ever seen a credit card linked to a mandatory hardware requirement . . . This requires much thought. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Okay done thinking.

No thanks!

Samsung Pay :

The only downside of Samsung Pay is that it only works exclusively on Samsung devices.

https://joyofandroid.com/samsung-pay-compatible-phones/

This is no different form a tied Apple Card to iPhone.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  Alex5723.
    • #1914289 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

In terms of the technical requirements, my iPhone is running 12.4, and I am signed into iCloud with two-factor authentication.

However, I’m having issues getting confirmation from Apple on if there’s a way to pay for Apple Card by check, or if it requires a linked bank account, if a savings account would work. When I try to chat with Apple Card support, it won’t put me through to an agent unless I already have Apple Card.

I also haven’t been able to receive confirmation if certain Apple features/services would be restricted to Apple Card after Apple Card launches.

In terms of Apple Pay vs Samsung Pay, while both are tied to their own devices, at least both allow the ability to use a card that can be used across devices (so I can add my current card to Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, PayPal, and any other form of “Pay” program that supports it). With Apple Card, the card itself can only be used with Apple devices for NFC payments, falling back to the titanium card for the rest. Its transactions can’t be imported into financial software either.

Nathan Parker

• #1914365 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Nathan, In case you, or anyone reading this, would like to get the card to find out first hand how it works, planning to cancel it if proves, later on, to be unsatisfactory for some reason. If I am right, then you probably know this already, but just in case: if your card is cancelled, even if it is at your own request, that can result in a black mark on your credit record, because the cancellation is likely to be entered there without an explanation of why it happened.

If you simply cut it, throw away the pieces and do not use it again, eventually the issuer of the unused card will cancel it, to much the same effect. Or so I understand. Please, correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #1914426 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

It is true if one cancels it outright, it could affect one’s credit score. If one lets the card die of starvation, I don’t think it impacts the score since the bank closed it out.

Any cards I no longer wanted I just allowed to die of starvation instead of formally canceling them out.

Now my attorney gets paid by banks who close any of her old cards out. Wish I got that perk!

Nathan Parker

• #1914427 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Natahan: “ If one lets the card die of starvation, I don’t think it impacts the score since the bank closed it out.

Looking around, I have found a different view (and advice), supposedly by someone who knows what he is writing about, here:

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/simon-credit-score-close-unused-card-1508.php

If the author is correct, unless keeping the card is causing a lot of unnecessary trouble: charging very high annual fees, etc., one might want to keep it alive and “active” by feeding it, now and then, a small charge.

• #1915481 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Thanks for the info. The main credit card that was closed due to inactivity was my first card with only a $300 credit limit (and there was no way to ever increase the limit). That one was enough “trouble” where allowing it to die made life easier, but the other ones I have I plan on keeping and periodically adding stuff to (and a couple of them I use regularly, one for online services and the other one I carry for shopping, so if someone beats me over the head and robs me, I don’t have to update the card on file for all my online services).

The other cards who have died belonged to other of my family members, but our scores have all still remained pretty high.

Nathan Parker

• #1918573 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP
    • #1932654 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Would you buy a $900 gold case for your Apple Card ?

• #1933520 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Would you buy a $900 gold case for your Apple Card ?

That’s all? I thought it’d at least be $1,000. 🙂

Nathan Parker

• #1934263 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Is it worth those 980 dollars or so? Definitely, and this is why: It’s a golden-plated titanium wallet. So, if someone shoots at you aiming accurately at your heart and you are wearing your Apple-Card titanium wallet in your breast pocket (even without an Apple Card inside), that wallet will definitely save your life.

It might be awkward to carry such a bulky thing around for just one credit card, but, on balance? There is no question in my mind that, for saving your life, it’s probably worth the trouble. And the expense.

• #1934293 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

There is no question in my mind that, for saving your life, it’s probably worth the trouble. And the expense.

This iPhone stopped a bullet and saved a man’s life
      https://www.businessinsider.com/this-iphone-stopped-a-bullet-and-saved-a-mans-life-2015-9

Man says a MacBook Pro saved his life during Fort Lauderdale airport shooting by blocking a bullet
      https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/07/macbook-pro-saves-life-during-fort-lauderdale-shooting/

Woman’s life saved during Las Vegas massacre by her iPhone which stopped bullet

Woman’s life saved during Las Vegas massacre by her iPhone which stopped bullet

• #1934700 Reply

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

An extra perk of Apple devices you don’t get with Windows PC’s and Android devices. 🙂

Nathan Parker

• #1943684 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Sharpening Titanium Knife made of Apple Card

• #1945353 Reply

ScotchJohn
      AskWoody Plus

Here in the UK, I have just received my new AmEx Platinum card, also a metal card.  I’m quite sure that it is going to shred my leather wallet in double quick time.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Apple Card is Here

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.