News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Apple Developing Search Engine to Replace Google Search ?

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems iOS Apple Developing Search Engine to Replace Google Search ?

• This topic has 14 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago.
    Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Apple showing signs it may soon launch a search engine to compete against Google Search
        Changes in Spotlight Search on iOS and iPadOS 14 beta, a significant update to its Applebot support page, and an increase in crawling from AppleBot signify that Apple may be launching a search engine soon.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Alex5723.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2307632 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

There’s money in selling browsing history!

cheers, Paul

• #2307716 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

There’s money in selling browsing history!

cheers, Paul

Apple doesn’t sell users data.

We believe technology should protect users’ fundamental right to privacy, and that means giving users tools to understand which apps and websites may be sharing their data with other companies for advertising or advertising measurement purposes, as well as the tools to revoke permission for this tracking. When enabled, a system prompt will give users the ability to allow or reject that tracking on an app-by-app basis. We want to give developers the time they need to make the necessary changes, and as a result, the requirement to use this tracking permission will go into effect early next year.

Attachments:
      • #2307814 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

That is app based permission. A search site is a different kettle of fish and someone must be paying for it.

cheers, Paul

• #2307830 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

That is app based permission. A search site is a different kettle of fish and someone must be paying for it.

cheers, Paul

Safari, Siri.. on iPhone, iPad doesn’t sell browsing data.

• #2307892 Reply
          doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

Even “non personalised” data? Like month search report consisting of somthing like:

Top search:
          1. Amazon 7M times
          2. ApplePay 6,5M times
          3. Mojave 6M times
          ….

that means giving users tools to understand which apps and websites may be sharing their data with other companies for advertising or advertising measurement purposes, as well as the tools to revoke permission for this tracking. When enabled, a system prompt will give users the ability to allow or reject that tracking on an app-by-app basis

I think that means you have to turn on protection, otherwise your data can be sold. And in this moment is this enabled or what? Am I reading this wrong?

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• #2307912 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

If Apple starts its own search engine and it gets enough users without overwhelming opposition from Google, I suspect that this is going to put a dent in the recently initiated lawsuit in the USA by the Justice Department against Google arguing that it is a monopoly. As I have already mentioned: I am not a lawyer, but I believe a case based on Google being a monopoly might not be the best way to get results.

Google and Justice

As to the issue of privacy already brought up by others here: the inaction of governments and the indifference of the general public has led us to a situation where I see no respite and where, in last analysis, one who needs to use a certain search engine because it fits best one’s needs, will have to shrug off the whole thing and get over it — at least for the time being. Not giving up on some minimally defensive measures to protect oneself without becoming so loaded with armor as to have trouble moving? Yes. But yes.

That said, one of the things that can, and therefore should be done, is to keep the discussion going, illuminating the darkness with reliable and verifiable information on what is going on. And, to the extent one is able to, putting pressure on government to bring about the necessary changes to better protect everyone’s privacy.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

• #2307990 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I think that means you have to turn on protection, otherwise your data can be sold.

It means you have to aprove selling your data with every app, site…
        Look at my screen shot of iOS 14.2 beta, above. No data will be harvested / sold.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2308008 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Here is what I see as an interesting couple of paragraphs that, as the rest of the article, are a “will likely function as” and “One can imagine” tentative opinion after another. But the idea of a “personalized search”, if it means that, from the get go, I could get results from my searches that are relevant to me because are based on my own interests, not pages and pages of totally unrelated “hits”, then I’ll acknowledge this as a step forward on how search engines work. At the same time, I find it rather disturbing that for that to be possible I’ll have to allow the rifling through my data, including my emails and intimate papers, by an AI in order to figure out what my interests are. And going by Netflix’s clueless automated recommendations of movies and TV shows that I “might also like” after years of using their streaming and DVD services, I suspect the Apple’s “personalized” searches might not be exactly spot on either:

Based on Apple’s numerous search engineer job descriptions, and the continued consolidation of web and app results in Spotlight Search, an Apple search engine will likely function as a highly personalized data hub. It will be similar to Google Assistant on Android, but different since it (initially) won’t have ads, will be completely private, and have significantly deeper integrations with the OS.

One can imagine getting easy buy-in from users if they benefit from privacy, coupled with the seamless integration and personalization of their iCloud data. Apple can leverage AI and ML to deliver search results based on their email, messages, maps, events, reminders, notes, photos, files, contacts, music, news, TV shows and movies, third-party apps, documents, and more. And they can do it without ads and with the promise of real data privacy.

• #2308721 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I wonder if a DuckDuckGo acquisition is in the works to beef up Apple’s search engine project…

Nathan Parker

• #2308837 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I wonder if a DuckDuckGo acquisition is in the works to beef up Apple’s search engine project…

Tried DuckDuckGo a couple of times. Not even close to Google’s search in quality of results and seems to favor US with no adequate support for other countries.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2309164 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I’ve had decent luck with DuckDuckGo. It’s been about as on-par with Bing for me, and better privacy. I’ve never been a major Google fan in general (I just can’t bring myself to use it). If Apple were to acquire DDG, They’d likely combine it with their own in-house technologies and develop something interesting.

Nathan Parker

• #2309167 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Alex wrote: “Not even close to Google’s search in quality of results” while Nathan has said he has had “decent luck” with it.

I think that duckduckgo is somewhat limited and better for some kinds of searches than for others. This probably is because, I would imagine, they don’t have all the enormous server farms Google has and possibly lack some of  the sophistication in the search software that runs in them that, at Google, battalions of good programmers have been developing, refining and tweaking for donkey’s years.

• #2309168 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

That and they don’t have all of the collected user data Google has. Look what took Siri so long to “catch up” with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. Both had troves of user data collected from users using the services, whereas Siri has better emphasis on privacy.

In my case, I’d take better privacy (hence I’m pivoting from Alexa to HomePod). Even with all the user data, my Amazon Echos have been quite dumb lately for some reason.

Nathan Parker

• #2309190 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I think that duckduckgo is somewhat limited and better for some kinds of searches than for others

What evidence do you have for this statement?

cheers, Paul

Viewing 13 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Apple Developing Search Engine to Replace Google Search ?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.