• Apple discontinued the iPod Touch

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Apple » iOS » Apple discontinued the iPod Touch

Author
    Topic

iPod touch will be available while supplies last

Since its introduction over 20 years ago, iPod has captivated users all over the world who love the ability to take their music with them on the go. Today, the experience of taking one’s music library out into the world has been integrated across Apple’s product line — from iPhone and Apple Watch to iPad and Mac — along with access to more than 90 million songs and over 30,000 playlists available via Apple Music…Today, the spirit of iPod lives on. We’ve integrated an incredible music experience across all of our products, from the iPhone to the Apple Watch to HomePod mini, and across Mac, iPad, and Apple TV. And Apple Music delivers industry-leading sound quality with support for spatial audio — there’s no better way to enjoy, discover, and experience music…

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 10 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Does this mean that everyone who wants to stay with the Apple brand is being forced to pay for a monthly subscription for Apple Music?

Could someone who can’t afford the monthly bills for a ‏monthly wireless cellphone plan purchase a cheaper iPhone SE and install an iTunes app so that they could still play the music files they purchased from the iTunes store when their iPod Touch eventually dies? Is there another non-Apple music player that can play proprietary Apple .m4a music files (or .m4a files converted to .mp3 format)?

Thank you Alex. Capitalism and time march on. Although PCs are my usual computing platform, we also use iPhones and Macs.

Less than two years ago I bought a 7th-gen iPod touch. It’s at my bedside, used to record my long-cultivated dreams, or inspirations during liminal states of mind. I’ve liked it because it’s comparatively simple to use even when I’m in a liminal mind state.

I don’t send my data to Apple servers. For 10 years or longer, Apple iTunes support staff are usually clueless about how to solve problems. They read their support database for the first time about a customer’s need only when the customer telephones them.

Since forever, I’ve backed up Apple mobile devices locally, using iTunes, although it’s a cumbersome platform. I’m the kind of person to have backups of his backups 😁 because that has saved my bacon more than once.

All electronic radios on all devices in our home are often turned off. Especially at night. Especially when the device is unused. Anyone reading this has the option to listen to, look at, the research on this done by my friend, Larry Burk, MD, or many other scientists, some of whom are people with whom I/we work.

iPod touch will be available while supplies last

Since its introduction over 20 years ago, iPod has captivated users all over the world who love the ability to take their music with them on the go. Today, the experience of taking one’s music library out into the world has been integrated across Apple’s product line — from iPhone and Apple Watch to iPad and Mac — along with access to more than 90 million songs and over 30,000 playlists available via Apple Music…Today, the spirit of iPod lives on. We’ve integrated an incredible music experience across all of our products, from the iPhone to the Apple Watch to HomePod mini, and across Mac, iPad, and Apple TV. And Apple Music delivers industry-leading sound quality with support for spatial audio — there’s no better way to enjoy, discover, and experience music…

Finance, social and tech founder. Managing director of new crowd sourced games in pre-release development. Director on a new consortium to bring fractional ownership of heritage antiquities to the blockchain. My planet-wide talk show for people craving new stories by which to live is Casual Saints.

Does this mean that everyone who wants to stay with the Apple brand is being forced to pay for a monthly subscription for Apple Music?

Yes, that’s what Apple would like. By its behavior, it’s easy to tell that Apple is uninterested in its customers’ preferences. It is interested in two things:  money and force. Although, at this writing, one can still purchase individual songs or movies inside iTunes. But I don’t have lots of those. When I find an artist I like I often buy their albums because all of the ginormous music publishers treat the artists like poo-doo (the colorful term used by Sebulba in a Star Wars prequel when he lost a race to Anakin).

Maybe three years ago I had Apple Music for a while. Then I cancelled it because I like(d) Spotify better, and pay *it* a monthly subscription because I’ve big, and wide-ranging tastes and interests in music. Last week, on a “re-test”, I subscribed for about three days to Apple Music:  I wanted to see if it would integrate with the *wired* Sonos Play:1 speakers I have. It failed. So I cancelled it.

I set up my local Sonos software/hardware controller to be wired via Ethernet, on a network behind stout firewalls with SPI (stateful packet inspection). Wired that way, the Sonos controller works OK. But every time I start the PC on which their controller is launched, you must re-group the speakers to play as one unit.

But the advantage to me of all this is that without wifi I have remote control of my Spotify feed from my iPhone using Spotify’s app. I can switch songs or song libraries from both my phone and a desktop PC.

Finance, social and tech founder. Managing director of new crowd sourced games in pre-release development. Director on a new consortium to bring fractional ownership of heritage antiquities to the blockchain. My planet-wide talk show for people craving new stories by which to live is Casual Saints.

I have my ancient iPod Nano and happy with that. It has a Fit app and will measure out distance while on the trail. FM radio is great and though it only has 16GB storage for music, photos, and podcasts, music is the only thing on it by choice. Size of a credit card and sound is really nice with my wired headset of choice. I take it everywhere. No updates needed since it’s a standalone device, when I want music added or removed, plug it in to the PC and done. Apple Music is a ripoff IMHO. Never had to pay for music other than tunes already in my library that were purchased on a CD or independently going through iTunes to download to the PC or Apple device. Nobody can take this little treasure from my pocket, and it won’t be retired because Apple decides to call it vintage. End of story.

Win7 Home x64 MacOS Chromebook

What has being with Apple brand to do with Apple music (or Apple TV or Apple Arcade) ?
      I use iPad, iPhone, Apple watch and don’t use Apple music (I build my own music library).
      You can still copy music tracks to Apple devices using PCs…(I use an iOS app / web service : Doppler). I can use iTunes too.

1 user thanked author for this post.

The quote at the top of that specific post is incorrectly attributed to me. The quote must instead be attributed to lamacri.

You also can, as I do, download and save mp3 and mp4 music files, including whole videos showing the performers in action, using a Mac. An “i” gadget is not necessary. Neither is Apple music, etc.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
        Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
        macOS Monterey; browsers: Waterfox "Current", Vivaldi and (now and then) Chrome; security apps. Intego AV and Malwarebytes for Macs.

It is interested in two things:  money and force.

And it is contrary to Spotify’s subscription which is interested in charity, human right, climate disaster..

(I use an iOS app / web service : Doppler)

Merci. A few years back my searches and testing of PC-philic music libraries didn’t uncover Doppler because I was searching only PC-based stuff. I’ll look into it.

iPod touch is now completely sold out in the US Apple Online Store

It has only been one day since Apple discontinued the iPod touch forever. And although the company said that customers could still buy the product “while supplies last,” it seems that the supplies didn’t last very long. Right now, the iPod touch is completely sold out in the US Apple Online Store.

By Wednesday morning, there were still a few iPod models available – mostly versions with 32GB of storage. However, at the time this article was published, it is no longer possible to buy any iPod touch models from Apple’s website…

An “i” gadget is not necessary. Neither is Apple music, etc.

I have a big library of music, videos..some are copied to my iPhone to listen/watch while out and some are copied to a 64GB USB connected to my car’s infotainment system to listen/”watch” while driving.

RIP iPod: A Look Back at Apple’s Iconic Music Player Over the Years

Apple earlier this week announced the discontinuation of the iPod touch, and because it was the last iPod still available for purchase, its sunsetting effectively marks the end of the entire iPod lineup.

To send the iPod on its way, we thought it would be fun to take a look back at some of the most notable iPod releases over the last 21 years…

Viewing 10 reply threads
    Reply To: Apple discontinued the iPod Touch

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.