News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Apple : Don’t close your MacBook..with a cover over the camera

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Apple : Don’t close your MacBook..with a cover over the camera

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Closing your Mac notebook with a camera cover on it might damage your display. Designed to protect your privacy, Mac notebooks have a camera indicator light to let you know when the camera is on.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2279443 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

This includes tape or stickers, so one needs to be careful when closing their MacBook with any cover on the camera, no matter how thin.

On a side note, there are now covers for MacBook Ports.

Nathan Parker

• #2279496 Reply
          Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

Apple should add a hardware switch for the camera like many laptops do.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2279541 Reply
          anonymous

Nathan Parker wrote:
          This includes tape or stickers, so one needs to be careful when closing their MacBook with any cover on the camera, no matter how thin.

No camera cover? Wow. Not sure if I should be impressed that design uses such very tight tolerances – or amused that design appears out of touch with how many people choose to handle built-in laptop cameras.

• #2279706 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

With Apple’s strict stance on privacy, it should be a top priority in their next MacBook line webcams, and it wouldn’t hurt for them to extend them to other devices as well.

Nathan Parker

• #2279710 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Well, I’ve been doing it all wrong, then. Besides turning off the internal microphone and turning off the video camera, I have put a little bit of duct tape (Oh, noooo!) on top of the little lens, because I’ve read several times, from different sources, that a hacker can turn the video camera back on and you’d be none the wiser. So the duct tape just sits there. When, now and then, I need to use the mike and camera for video conferencing, I turn both back on, remove the duck tape bit, clean the lens, and proceed.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2280207 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I’ve been using the EFF Stickers Kirsty recommended. They’ve worked well (they go on and come off easily and don’t leave residue). I’ve about worn out the one on my iPhone since I take that one on and off daily, but when I totally wear it out, I can order a new set cheaply.

Nathan Parker

• #2280225 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Nathan, I think that Paul T has just suggested here ( #2280207 ) how one can make one’s own stickers at no extra cost. Although if one is going to keep removing and putting them back on quite often, they might not last as long as the ones that Kirsty recommends.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2280271 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Kirsty’s post re stickers.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Apple : Don’t close your MacBook..with a cover over the camera

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.