News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Apple Launches Open Source Project for Password Management Apps

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Apple Launches Open Source Project for Password Management Apps

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Source: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/05/apple-open-source-password-management-project/

Apple is launching an open source project to allow password manager apps to make it easier to create compatible passwords for websites. While it is great to see Apple collaborating in this space, whether or not password manager apps make fruitful use out of this project remains to be seen.

Nathan Parker

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2269995 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Password rules are just stupid. You should be able to use anything you want, with recommendations about what makes a password secure (length is the best method).

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2269999 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I’m not seeing a huge benefit in what Apple is working on here. I always just set my password to use a nice, random, complex password, and 99% of the time, what I have it set to “just works”. Only 1% of the time do I run across a website that needs something either more complex than what mine is set to or requires me to use something shorter than what I’ve set it to, and a couple of slider tweaks when creating the password resolves the issue. Not seeing how Apple’s project is going to dramatically improve this.

Nathan Parker

• #2270014 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I’m not seeing a huge benefit in what Apple is working on here

I don’t see the benefit as well now Apple is part of FIDO Alliance.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Apple Launches Open Source Project for Password Management Apps

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.