News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Apple Making it Harder to Ignore Software Update Notifications

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Apple Making it Harder to Ignore Software Update Notifications

• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

As per MacRumors, Apple is making it harder to avoid macOS Update Notifications with macOS Catalina 10.15.5 and the Mojave and High Sierra Security Updates.

Cue the “Apple is getting to be like Microsoft on updates” messages circulating around on the web.

It’s not “that extensive” yet, since Apple still releases fewer overall updates than Microsoft does, although Apple should still allow the ability to pause update notifications for those who simply cannot download the update yet.

I also hope that Apple’s next major OS releases doubles down on quality control. Some recent macOS updates and even iOS/iPadOS have had more issues than they should. Apple needs to give us another “Snow Leopard” style release, especially for macOS.

Nathan Parker

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2267408 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

I have noticed, these days, that I am getting an “updates are ready to be installed” message once every session, sometime after logging in. When I check, is just Catalina that is waiting to be installed — something I was already well aware of, thank you very much. So I choose “Remind me tomorrow”, the most far-into-the-future choice, and click off the popup (better described as a “sneakily-sliding-into-the-upper-right-corner-of-the-Desktop grey message box”) This is a new development and, it seems to me, not a very necessary or useful one. Or am I missing something important here?

Also, what was special about the “Snow Leopard” release? That was at the time when I was using Windows 100% and no longer following closely the developments of the then called OS X, so I don’t know what it was like, only that is was the release of one of the “Big Cat” series.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2267409 Reply
        DrBonzo
        AskWoody Plus

I’m going to be extremely irritated if I no longer have any control over when to update, whether it be an upgrade to another version of macOS or just a security update.

So far I’ve been given notifications that security updates are available, but given the option of delaying installation.

Last night I updated a MacBook Air running Mojave (2020-003 security update for Mojave 10.14.6). I noticed for the first time that the update had already been downloaded and that all I had to do to install it was restart the computer. It all went without a hitch, but if I walk in someday and find Catalina running without my consent, I will consider that as egregious as MS’s get win 10 fiasco.

Actually, I would consider that even worse than the MS fiasco since as I understand it going from Mojave to Catalina means no more 32 bit support and I am not yet prepared for that.

But, can’t one simply leave the box “Automatically keep my Mac up to date” unchecked in the ‘Software Update’ window? That’s what I’ve always done, although I didn’t check it last night after the update to see if it was still checked.

• #2267410 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

DrBonzo: “But, can’t one simply leave the box “Automatically keep my Mac up to date” unchecked in the ‘Software Update’ window? That’s what I’ve always done, although I didn’t check it last night after the update to see if it was still checked

Good point! I had that box unchecked from way back, and after reading that, just now, went and had another look at it. And, wonders shall never cease, it was checked! So I unchecked it again. Now I’ll have to wait and see what is Apple’s next move.

• #2267412 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Once you uncheck the update box, Apple isn’t supposed to automatically check it unless you apply a major upgrade. After a major upgrade, it does get automatically re-checked unless you un-check it again.

What I posted doesn’t have to do with automatic updates themselves. It’s just that there was a way to use Terminal to snooze update notifications so you wouldn’t be bugged with them. Apple has pulled that in the latest updates, so while you can still update your Mac when you want to by unchecking auto install updates, Apple can still nag you about it without a way to disable that from Terminal.

Snow Leopard was similar to “Windows 7” in terms of macOS releases. Snow Leopard was the most stable macOS release I (and many Mac users) ever used. Leopard added hundreds of features, but it had some bugs. Snow Leopard took a major breather from new features (it did make key system apps 64 Bit and introduce Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL technologies, as well as added Exchange support to the built-in apps, but Apple’s team really focused on quality control and fine-tuning the OS. It was so luxuriously stable that I haven’t had that kind of enjoyment in any OS in years. It was still when OS releases were paid releases, but whereas Leopard was $129 for a single user, Snow Leopard was $29. Best money I ever spent. I’d even pay Apple another $29 if they released an OS upgrade as stable as Snow Leopard.

This will also double as my weekly column since I didn’t have a topic ready for this weekend. Next week I will review AirParrot 3.

Nathan Parker

3 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2267422 Reply
          DrBonzo
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks for explaining that.

I just checked my “Automatically keep my Mac up to date” box and it remains unchecked, which is what I want.

I wouldn’t have a problem paying $29 for a rock-solid OS that was devoid of silly features, and provided a drama free updating/patching experience. I would probably spend that for Mojave, but probably not for Sierra or High Sierra – the only three macOS OS’s I have experience with – and certainly not for Catalina based on what I’ve heard about it. I probably would have paid that for Win XP, too, but not for any other Windows version. I probably would have paid for Win 7 until patching became such a nail biting experience (yes I had backups, images, rescue media, blah, blah, blah, but I’m a busy person and I just need my stuff to work and work correctly the first time around)

• #2267424 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I know the days of paid OS upgrades on Apple are over with (Apple has made them free, and yearly), but I hope that Apple will double-down on quality control in a future upgrade. Catalina has definitely been messy. My experiences haven’t been too bad, but there have been enough issues in general.

Nathan Parker

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2267448 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

In Catalina
        If you go into Software Updates and click on Advanced, you get the options:
        “Download new updates when available” and “Install system data files and security updates”
        My updates don’t download unless I choose b/c I have that unchecked.

You can uncheck either or both for more control.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-31-at-4.21.18-AM

Screen-Shot-2020-05-31-at-4.20.59-AM

Attachments:
        • #2267452 Reply
          DrBonzo
          AskWoody Plus

That’s the way it works in Mojave, also. I got the impression from OscarCP and also the link Nathan Parker posted above, that updates and upgrades were perhaps going to be forced no matter what boxes were checked. That would have been extremely irritating, but I apparently misunderstood.

• #2267577 Reply
            OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

Nathan explained something very relevant, after I mentioned the unexpectedly checked “Automatically keep my Mac up to date” box I had unchecked when I started using the Mac. What might have happened, following Nathan’s explanation, is that the box got checked again either when I installed Mojave to replace Sierra (unlikely), or (more likely) after installing the latest “security” update to Mojave (10,14,6, I believe), quite recently, as the unwanted, pushy reminders to move to Catalina started about then.

I really hope that is all there is to these unasked for and unloved reminders. Now  that I have unchecked that box once more, I’m waiting to see what happens. It should not take long: either I won’t get another of those reminders today and again tomorrow, or I will. We’ll see. If I still get the reminder, I’ll be back with the sad news.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          • #2267603 Reply
            DrBonzo
            AskWoody Plus

FWIW – My MacBook Air has had only Mojave on it. Before I installed the very latest security update (2020-003 for Mojave 10.14.6) on Friday night, the box for “Automatically keep my Mac up to date” was unchecked. After installation of said update the box remained unchecked. So, at least Apple doesn’t appear to be checking boxes behind our backs. About those reminders, well I guess we’ll see.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Apple Making it Harder to Ignore Software Update Notifications

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.