News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Apple needs an update

Home Forums AskWoody blog Apple needs an update

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

You know that the newsmedia have been talking about an issue when your Dad asks you how to update his iPhone. There is a patch out to fix several “zer
        [See the full post at: Apple needs an update]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Kirsty
        Manager

Refer to yesterday’s Code Red topic:
        You Shoud Update Your iDevice Now

J9438
        AskWoody Plus

I was used to just clicking Update Now on my old phones (using cell data) until I got a new iPhone recently that said I had to be connected to WIFI to update. Since I did not really want to use WIFI (or some people with cell service but no WIFI) I was in a panic until much help from Nathan Parker, Alex, Kirsty and others on this site helped me. So I will pass on to those of you with old fashioned Dads or others like me that use hardwired ethernet (out of fear or security concerns) and need to update an iPhone. Download iTunes from Apple to your PC (search this site for how). Connect your iPhone to the PC via USB. Open iTunes on your PC. Go to File/Devices and waala, you can update your IOS using your ethernet ISP service. Hope this helps others with similar concerns. Of course, if you have available WIFI capable of a large download, then go for it!

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Or update over the air if you have sufficient data allowance from your provider.

cheers, Paul

J9438
        AskWoody Plus

So I will pass on to those of you with old fashioned Dads or others like me that use hardwired ethernet

Last time I used iTunes the Apple symbol box at the top showed a downloading progress bar. This time nothing but I noticed a small down arrow to right. Upon clicking, it opened a nice dialog box with status xxx MB/GB of 4.80 GB downloaded and time 47 min remaining. (box also had small box checked that said “Simultaneous Download” Anyone know what that means?) At end of download status box disappeared (also disappeared several times and had to reclick arrow) and status went back to Apple box – Extracting, backing up, preparing. Then error 4000. Tried shut down phone and reset network. Still error 4000. Finally did reset all, which unfortunately takes out all your personal settings, went back into iTunes and it finished install. I think next time I will go back to update through phone with WIFI as many have suggested that works seamlessly.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Apple needs an update

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.