News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Apple Requiring Notarization for Non Mac App Store Apps Starting February 2020

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Apple Requiring Notarization for Non Mac App Store Apps Starting February 2020

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Apple Requiring Notarization for Non Mac App Store Apps Starting February 2020

Source: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/23/apple-mac-app-notarization-february-2020/

Nathan Parker

• #2022815 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Nathan: Reading the comments in that thread at macrumors, I get the impression that all this ‘notarization’ will do is to prevent an unnotarized application to be launched just by double-clicking its icon. But one can still “right click” the icon and, in the dialog this action will open, chose “open” and that will launch the application anyway. The purpose of this seems to ensure that the user does not open accidentally, unthinkingly, or sometimes when in too much of a rush, an unnotarized and perhaps malware-ridden application, unless the user tries to launch it by the very deliberate act of right-clicking the icon, etc. Because for Tim Cook every user is the King!, or the Queen!, depending, of that user’s own Mac. Do you also see it this way?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #2023116 Reply

Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

Because for Tim Cook every user is the King!, or the Queen!, depending, of that user’s own Mac.

If that were true, it would be possible to turn this obnoxious nannying off.  Is it?

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.18).

• #2023143 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Acaris: Of course it is true! Are you going to start doubting me, now?

And it is all for your own good! Tim Cook is the best! How can anyone possibly not know that? Sheez!

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #2022830 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

But one can still “right click” the icon and, in the dialog this action will open, chose “open” and that will launch the application anyway.

That’s how it has been in the past. I haven’t heard of any major changes yet with Catalina, and hopefully there aren’t any major changes. There’s a handful of apps I use where I’ve had to perform the right-click to get the apps to launch.

Nathan Parker

• #2023130 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

it would be possible to turn this obnoxious nannying off.  Is it?

There used to be a way to completely disable it. Apple removed that feature a few OS releases ago and making it where Control+Click or Right-Click was the only way around it. Hoping Catalina still keeps this workaround.

Nathan Parker

• #2036412 Reply

MW
      AskWoody Plus

As of Mojave, it is still possible to turn off this “protect me from myself” feature.  You will have to break out the Terminal app.

Enter;

sudo spctl – -master-disable

Hit return and it will ask for a password, and your done.

You will now have the 3rd “Anywhere” option in System Preferences>Security & Privacy>General> Allow apps downloaded from:

You can undo it with;

sudo spctl – -master-enable

One note, if you should select 1 of the other 2 options, the 3rd options disappears with a reboot.  If you keep it selected it stays put.

W7 & W8.1 - Group W (since April 2017)
      Mac Sierra & Mojave - Group A
      Mint Cinnamon - Group A

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  MW.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2036508 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks, MW, for the hint.

But, as someone that installs a new application every blue moon coinciding with the death of a bishop, what would be the advantage, in my case, of doing this, rather than right clicking, choosing “open” and clicking again for the very occasional installation to proceed? Or is it just the principle of the thing? Because I checked and, as it turned out, doing this is not against any of my principles, so the reason must be some practical one that, right now, escapes me.

• #2036548 Reply

Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

I had asked if it was possible to disable the “feature.”  In my case, if I used Mac, I would want to enable this because by the time I’ve gotten to the point of executing a program, I have already completed any vetting I found necessary, and I don’t need the OS trying to second-guess me.

If I used Macs, I would grudgingly accept the way to fix the issue, but it would be better if there was a checkbox I could select or deselect, this being a Mac and all (where most people don’t expect to be using the terminal).

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.18).

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2036547 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

As of Mojave, it is still possible to turn off this “protect me from myself” feature.  You will have to break out the Terminal app.

Great to know there is a way to disable it still. Gotta love Terminal!

Nathan Parker

• #2036549 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

it would be better if there was a checkbox I could select or deselect, this being a Mac and all (where most people don’t expect to be using the terminal).

That’s how it was before Apple taketh away from us. 🙂

Nathan Parker

• #2087929 Reply

Marty
      AskWoody Plus

So, suppose you buy TurboTax on a DVD from Costco.  Does the notarization requirement apply to software installed from such physical media?

• #2087930 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

So, suppose you buy TurboTax on a DVD from Costco.  Does the notarization requirement apply to software installed from such physical media?

According to Apple, what’s a DVD? 🙂

My guess is it does, but I would hope the workaround we mentioned would work if the installer didn’t launch correctly after inserting the DVD. There is a way to notarize apps on DVD’s as well. I’ve encountered apps that have successfully installed through notarization.

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Apple Requiring Notarization for Non Mac App Store Apps Starting February 2020

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.