News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Apple to block sideloading iOS apps on M1

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Apple to block sideloading iOS apps on M1

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

macOS beta code suggests Apple will block users from sideloading unsupported iOS apps on M1 Macs

Based on internal code that is shared between recent iOS 14.4 beta versions and macOS Big Sur 11.2, Apple is implementing a new system that will block some iOS apps from running on the Mac. This, of course, will not affect the apps available on the Mac App Store.

Instead, this should prevent users from installing iOS apps that the developer has chosen not to offer on the Mac App Store for M1 Macs. In current versions of macOS, you can manually install iOS apps like Netflix, Instagram, and Facebook on an M1 Mac by using their respective IPA files downloaded under a valid Apple ID.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

I hope this does not mean that applications not in the Apple Store will be blocked not just in M1 Macs running the next update to BigSur, but also when running BigSur on Intel Macs. As stated in the excerpt of the announcement copied by Alex, whether this is so or not is not entirely clear.

But it causes me some concern, because taken at face value, it is a restrictive move with no clear reason for it. This does not affect me directly now, as I do not use any iOS applications, but that could change later on, when I am still using my Intel Mac. Or the ban could even be extended to non-Store applications meant for Intel Macs.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

But it causes me some concern, because taken at face value, it is a restrictive move with no clear reason for it.

It is restrictive move, and rightly so, imposed by iOS developers who haven’t ported their apps to Mac store for a reason.

Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I don’t like the move at all. I’ll likely say more bout it coming up.

Nathan Parker

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Sideloading iOS Apps No Longer Possible on M1 Macs

Apple this week implemented a server side blocking mechanism to prevent M1 Mac owners from sideloading iOS apps that have not been made available on the Mac by iOS app developers.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I don’t like the move at all. I’ll likely say more bout it coming up.

So you prefer “hacking” developers apps who doesn’t want their apps running on Silicon ?

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Apple to block sideloading iOS apps on M1

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.