News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Apple to switch to Arm-based processors

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Apple to switch to Arm-based processors

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

Apple is set to start switching away from Intel processors and using their own custom-made Arm processors to power their Macs starting later this year.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/06/apple-announces-mac-transition-to-apple-silicon/

https://www.howtogeek.com/678940/how-the-mac-will-switch-from-intel-to-apples-own-arm-chips/

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/21295475/apple-mac-processors-arm-silicon-chips-wwdc-2020

Exciting news, as Arm-based processors use less power, produce less heat, and are becoming just as capable as x86 in terms of performance. Apple is allowing developers some transition period to switch to the new architecture.

There are still some unanswered questions, though:

• What will happen to virtualization programs like Parallels and VMware? Apple has announced Linux virtualization support, but what about Windows?
        • What will happen to Boot Camp?
        • Will Apple still support Intel-based Macs released in 2020 until 2027, like they’ve historically done?

Still, though, I’m fairly optimistic – more optimistic than the current pandemic – that Apple will be able to pull this off. It should also push more manufacturers to switch to Arm. Microsoft is also wanting to go in that direction as well.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2274699 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

No Windows (Windows on ARM run only 32bit apps) , no bootcamp. Apple announced that there will be no change for Intel Macs support.

Mac on ARM opens the possibility (to hackers) to install MacOS 11 on an iPad.
        The Mac on ARM and the Developer kit use A12z CPU the same as in iPad 11 Pro.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Alex5723.
      • #2275180 Reply
        anonymous

Some updates:

• Boot Camp will not be available in Apple Silicon Macs for the foreseeable future.
        • Although Microsoft does have an Arm-based version of Windows 10, Microsoft won’t license it to Apple because they only license it to OEMs. It’s not yet a final decision, and it may change going forward.
        • Parallels is currently known to be capable of using the Apple Silicon’s virtualization features to virtualize Arm-based Linux and Windows 10, so it’s still possible to run Arm Windows with a separate fee.
        • VMware announced support for macOS Big Sur but not yet for Apple Silicon. They do seem open to the idea and have asked their community on Twitter what they would like to see.

I’m cautiously holding out hope that Microsoft will work out their differences with Apple (personal opinion, but I think that both companies need each other and should compete cooperatively since both have contributed to each other’s success, for the benefit of the whole industry), and that VMware and Parallels will be able to work out some magic for running both Arm Windows and x86_64 Windows.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/24/21302213/apple-silicon-mac-arm-windows-support-boot-camp

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-on-apples-future-arm-based-macs-its-not-an-option-via-boot-camp/

• #2279444 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

On a side note, Apple Silicon will support Thunderbolt.

Nathan Parker

• #2279455 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Nathan,

(1) Has there been some question as to whether the new Macs will have thunderbolt ports?

I have a mid-1995 MacBook Pro laptop and it came with two thunderbolt ports. And it is my understanding that Macs older, from 2012 on (I think) all have had those ports.

(2) Does anyone know if the new Macs will continue to receive and run MS Office?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2279456 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Hi Oscar,

Re 1: My article link above confirms that Macs running Apple Silicon will have Thunderbolt ports. Likely Thunderbolt 3 or 4 (could be 4 which is backward compatible with 3 and with 2 and below using an adapter).

Re 2: Microsoft Office will run on Macs running Apple Silicon. Apple demoed Microsoft Officer already ported to Apple Silicon during the WWDC demo. They didn’t show off any Big Sur interface enhancements in Office yet (could be coming, who knows), but Microsoft has already successfully done the initial port of Office to Apple Silicon. It will still be a separate purchase of course, but it will be available on day 1.

Nathan Parker

• #2283475 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

This YouTube video looks interesting (12mins long)
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSck51LDqoM

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT -AE
        3 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2283983 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks, Microfix, for making it possible to watch this unusually clearly presented and well-produced video. Apple, with its new Macs, is taking the high-end road to satisfy high-end users, presumably also at high-end prices. Well, I could really use the faster speed, once I am sure there are no serious incompatibility problems with those applications I have been using and probably will need to continue using. Although, with the “hot” new RISC chips running even hotter than Intel’s CISC ones, I’d say: there goes “greener” energy efficiency…

• #2284000 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

About the price of the new “ARM” Macs: perhaps this 0% interest on online purchases on the installment plan of Apple devices, Macs included, that has just been announced via email, might be, among other things, intended to make it easier to buy these probably more expensive new machines:

https://www.apple.com/apple-card/monthly-installments/

We’ll just have to wait and see.

• #2284139 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I expect the Apple Silicon Macs to be more energy-efficient than Intel Macs, plus with batter battery life on notebooks, etc. Apple isn’t going to go “hot” and less energy efficient. They’re going to go more energy efficient for sure.

Nathan Parker

• #2284349 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Nathan, I’ve heard that said by the guy in the video, in the segment on the new chips starting at the 7 minutes mark. Maybe I misunderstood him?

• #2284431 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I need to watch the video so I can directly comment on him, but here’s what I know in general.

While it’s true there are “hot” RISC chips (the PowerPC chip in my old PowerBook G4 is toasty), whatever Apple Silicon eventually uses for its Macs will be more energy-efficient than Intel Macs. Apple already announced that during WWDC, and Apple has already proven it can make super-efficient chips. Apple is so strict on energy efficiency they wouldn’t dare go backward in the transition.

Nathan Parker

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Apple to switch to Arm-based processors

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.