News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Apple Updates Jan 29 2020

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Apple Updates Jan 29 2020

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Alex5723 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

macOS Catalina, iOS, iPadOS, watchOS, tvOS, and HomePod all received updates this week. We’re tracking when to install them on this page.

We’re also putting the final touches on the Mac and iPad switcher guide for Windows users. It’ll rollout as AskWoody AKB articles as well coming up.

Nathan Parker

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2111439 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Nathan, I also received today Security Update 2020-001 for Mojave 10.14.6 and  installed it. I posted that some hours earlier in the  KP is taking care of:

2000014: Ongoing List of Apple Operating System

Nothing unusual to report, at least yet, other than the fact that the Mac is still working and I am typing this comment on its keyboard.

Whether it is working altogether well or not, is too early to tell, of course.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #2111440 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

I meant to write above “in the thread that PK is taking care of”. Sorry, PK.

My original comment is this one:  #2111384

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2111443 Reply

DrBonzo
      AskWoody Plus

High Sierra also has a new security update (2020-001). Safari gets an update to 13.0.5; it’s a separate update for High Sierra and Mojave, but included with the new security update to Catalina.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

• #2111709 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Interesting way of naming the updates: with the full year followed, after the dash, by three places. Either this shows a desire to be unambiguous, with room for the number of the Day of the Year (DoY), from one through three hundred and sixty five — or else, ambitiously, from one to nine hundred and ninety nine updates per year. Given that the update was released in the second half of the first month, I am inclined to think that the second possibility must be the correct one.

• #2111726 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

AKB1000014 has been updated today 1/29/2020. There are links for the updates in the top post.

• #2111751 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Two things:

I am not receiving that update for Safari from Apple.

When accessing with Waterfox the Apple site with notices of the upgrades using either PK’s link in AKB1000014, or as given by DrBonzo in his previous comment, I get what you can see in the attached picture:

Screen-Shot-2020-01-29-at-5.28.43-PM

Attachments:
        • #2111757 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

I gotthe same thing with WaterFox Classic, but no problem using FireFox. Both have same extensions

• #2111767 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

I am using FF Quantum at the moment and have, just now, tried using the same link with it, and this is what happened:

Screen-Shot-2020-01-29-at-5.53.21-PM

Attachments:
      • #2111773 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Just out of curiosity, try it in Safari. I’d like to see Safari block the Mother ship! 🙂

• #2111781 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Trying now with Safari: it connects to the site without objections.

• #2111791 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

After finally connecting with Safari to the Apple site both WF and FF were stopping me from doing while also giving some serious warnings about the safety of the site, I can see that there is another update for Mojave (No. 2020-002) and one for Safari itself, but neither is offered to me, at the moment, when I check Updates in System Preferences. Only Catalina shows up there as ready to install, something I am not planning to do for at least several more months.

• #2112120 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Apple delivers a new redesigned Maps for all users in the United States

Apple today announced that all users in the United States can now experience a redesigned Maps with faster and more accurate navigation and comprehensive views of roads, buildings, parks, airports, malls and more, making it easier and more enjoyable to map out any journey. Apple completed the rollout of this new Maps experience in the United States and will begin rolling it out across Europe in the coming months…

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/01/apple-delivers-a-new-redesigned-maps-for-all-users-in-the-united-states/

• #2124026 Reply

DrBonzo
      AskWoody Plus

Last night on a MacBook Air running Mojave, I installed the Safari update 13.0.5 and the security update 2020-001. Everything went well. The 2020-001 update took a bit less than 25 minutes, but 10 of that was for just the download (1.61 GB).

• #2124412 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

I’ve updated all of my devices. So far so good. One of the bugs on my Apple Watch was even resolved.

Nathan Parker

• #2124981 Reply

Myst
      AskWoody Plus

Just finished updating my iPhone 8plus to 13.3.1 and everything looks good. It was about a 10 minute OTA install. iPad is currently updating and if there’s anything to report after it’s done I’ll post it here in the next few days. One of my main concerns is battery drain but I haven’t had any issues with that on iOS 13.

Win7 SP1 Home 64-bit, GrpA / MacOS / Chromebook

• #2125012 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Apple has updated Windows iTunes 12.10.4, iCloud 7.17.0 on Jan. 29.

• #2125017 Reply

DrBonzo
      AskWoody Plus

Successfully updated an iMAC running High Sierra – installed the Safari update (13.0.5) and the security update (2020-001).

• #2133315 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

The macOS updates resolved a sudo flaw:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/02/03/fixed-sudo-flaw-in-macos-gave-root-command-privileges-to-all-users

Nathan Parker

• #2135598 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Universal Purchase and App Store Categories

Starting in March 2020, you’ll be able to distribute iOS, iPadOS, macOS, and tvOS versions of your app as a universal purchase, allowing customers to enjoy your app and in‑app purchases across platforms by purchasing only once. You can choose to create a new app for these platforms using a single app record in App Store Connect or add platforms to your existing app record. Get started by building and testing your apps using a single bundle ID with Xcode 11.4 beta….

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=02052020a

• #2137255 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

The mail vulnerability was also fixed in the macOS updates:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/02/05/macos-10-15-3-fixes-unencrypted-mail-vulnerability/

Nathan Parker

• #2138602 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Apple Card statements can now be exported as OFX files

Starting February 11, Apple Card cardholders are now able to export their Apple Card transactions into the OFX file format and import their data into third-party financial management apps….

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/02/11/apple-card-statements-can-now-be-exported-as-ofx-files

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Apple Updates Jan 29 2020

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.