News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Apple warns users to upgrade their old iPhones and iPads

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems iOS Apple warns users to upgrade their old iPhones and iPads

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  willygirl 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Apple warns users to upgrade their old iPhones and iPads to avoid issues with location (GPS), date, and time which in turn could cause problems with iCloud, email and other services…

Starting just before 12:00 a.m. UTC on November 3, 2019,* some iPhone and iPad models introduced in 2012 and earlier will require an iOS update to maintain accurate GPS location and keep the correct date and time. This is due to the GPS time rollover issue that began affecting GPS-enabled products from other manufacturers on April 6, 2019. Affected Apple devices are not impacted until just before 12:00 a.m. UTC on November 3, 2019…

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210239

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1988320 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

that issue only affects old iphones such as iphone 4s & iphone 5 and not the newer ones

my iphone 5s is NOT affected as it’s already running iOS 12.4.x

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1988372 Reply

willygirl
      AskWoody Plus

I recently updated my friend’s iPhone 5 to iOS 10.3.4, which is the most current for his model. So when the clock strikes midnight November 3 he won’t have any worries.  Anyone with older like the 4s should be at iOS 9.3.6 to avoid any issues.

Win7 SP1 Home 64-bit, GrpA

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Apple warns users to upgrade their old iPhones and iPads

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.