News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Apple’s new ARM-based Macs won’t support Windows through Boot Camp

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Apple’s new ARM-based Macs won’t support Windows through Boot Camp

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

“Apple will start switching its Macs to its own ARM-based processors later this year, but you won’t be able to run Windows in Boot Camp mode on them. Microsoft only licenses Windows 10 on ARM to PC makers to preinstall on new hardware, and the company hasn’t made copies of the operating system available for anyone to license or freely install…Apple later confirmed it’s not planning to support Boot Camp on ARM-based Macs in a Daring Fireball podcast. “We’re not direct booting an alternate operating system,” says Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of software engineering. “Purely virtualization is the route. ”

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/24/21302213/apple-silicon-mac-arm-windows-support-boot-camp

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2275386 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Excerpted from the document linked in the original comment by Alex5723:

Other methods to run Windows on ARM-based Macs will include virtualization using apps like VMWare or Parallels, but these won’t be supported by Apple’s Rosetta 2 translation technology. Virtual machine apps will need to be fully rebuilt for ARM-based Macs, and it’s not immediately clear if that’s even a workable solution for Windows on ARM (given the licensing complexities) or whether VMWare, Parallels, and others will commit to building these apps with Windows support.
        Apple did demonstrate Parallels Desktop running Linux in a virtual machine, but there was no mention of Windows support.”

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2275388 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

whether VMWare, Parallels, and others will commit to building these apps with Windows support.

In the meantime Parallels will bring Windows applications to Chrome OS

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2275874 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I am drafting up my “WWDC Bottom Line” tonight to send over to Woody to post to the blog. Also hope to watch the WWDC video tonight or tomorrow in case I need to make some last-minute changes to my document.

I wonder how this will affect apps that run in CrossOver. I have two critical CrossOver apps I use almost daily.

Not that I’ll be buying an Apple Silicon Mac anytime soon (I have plenty of use left on my current iMac Pro), so they have plenty of time to figure it out.

Nathan Parker

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Apple’s new ARM-based Macs won’t support Windows through Boot Camp

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.