News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Apple's official privacy policy allows opting out of telemetry..

Posted on OscarCP Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Apple's official privacy policy allows opting out of telemetry..

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 3 months ago.

• Author

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

The link below is to a Web page where Apple’s Privacy policy for Macs is explained, including why it may collect users’ telemetry (called here “analytics”) and what users can do to opt out if they so wish:

https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/en-ww/

I hope that starting this thread here might help clarify this important issue and perhaps result in an informative exchange that could be particularly helpful to those that are considering, for example, a switch to another operating system, perhaps macOS, now that Windows 7 is reaching the end of support, but are not sure if doing so might not bring along issues of personal privacy they rater don’t have to deal with. According to the official explanation in this Web page, that does not seem very likely.

Comments that bring additional information on this important subject are most welcome.

The same explanation of policy, as well as the relevant privacy settings, can also be found in a Mac in “System Preferences/Security and Privacy/Privacy/Analytics”.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1873798 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

“analytics” doesn’t appear on that page. Opt-out is only mentioned regarding emails, notices and ads.

Which part of that page supports your title and first paragraph about being able to opt out of telemetry/analytics and how to do that?

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1873842 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

b: Thanks for letting me know that I  have made a mistake. That text you read is not why I wanted to show here!

I mistakenly thought I had found a way to show this policy of Apple without posting a long entry, just a link, but I can see that there is no alternative, so here it is, directly from my Mac’s “System Preferences/Security and Privacy/Privacy/Analytics” (please, see my previous entry for an explanation of this).

The text in question follows:

With your permission, macOS can automatically collect analytics information from your Mac and send it to Apple to help improve the quality and performance of its products. This information is sent only with your consent and is submitted anonymously to Apple.

Further details

If you agree to send Mac Analytics information to Apple, it may include the following:

Details about app or system crashes, freezes, or kernel panics

Information about events on your Mac (for example, whether a certain function such as waking your Mac was successful or not)

Usage information (for example, data about how you use Apple and third-party software, hardware, and services)

Analytics data contains your computer’s hardware and software specifications, including information about devices connected to your Mac and the versions of the operating system and apps you’re using on your Mac. Personal data is either not logged at all in the reports generated by your Mac, is subject to privacy preserving techniques such as differential privacy, or is removed from any reports before they’re sent to Apple. If you want to add a description of your actions when the problem occurred, click the disclosure triangle and enter your comments. Please do not provide personal information.

Data can be sent automatically if one of these events occurs:

An app quits unexpectedly

You choose to force an app to quit

A system error occurs that causes your Mac to restart, or requires you to restart your Mac

If you agree, we may share your crash data with Apple’s partners and third-party developers to improve their software, hardware, and services designed for use with Apple products. Apple may also provide such partners and third-party developers with a subset of analytics information that is relevant to that partner’s or developer’s software, hardware, and/or services, as long as the information is in a form that does not personally identify you.

Information is sent to Apple using your Internet connection. If your Mac is not connected to the Internet, the data is saved and sent the next time you connect to the Internet.

Your Mac keeps analytics information for one month after it is generated, then deletes the information.

Opt-out of sharing analytics

You can opt-out of sharing analytics from your Mac at any time:

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click Privacy.

Click Analytics.

Deselect “Share Mac Analytics.”

Deselect “Share with App Developers” to stop sharing analytics data with app developers.

Analytics information will no longer be sent to Apple.

View analytics information

You can use the Console app to view analytics information sent to Apple:

1. Open Console.
      2. In the Console sidebar, click Mac Analytics Data.

Console shows analytics information even if you did not select to send reports automatically.

SubmitDiagInfo entries indicate when analytics information was sent to Apple.

If you are logged in as an administrator user, you can view all reports. If you are not logged in as an administrator, you can view only User Reports.

Privacy policy

All analytics information is sent to Apple anonymously.

By using these features, you agree and consent to Apple’s and its subsidiaries’ and agents’ transmission, collection, maintenance, processing, and use of this information as described above.

At all times, information collected by Apple will be treated in accordance with Apple’s Privacy Policy, which can be found at http://www.apple.com/privacy

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

• #1874165 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

If anyone has any specific questions on privacy settings and opt-out, please let me know, as I’ve dug into this in detail.

Nathan Parker

• #1874175 Reply

zero2dash
      AskWoody Lounger

Playing Windows devil’s advocate here (before someone else does it first)…

It can be opted out of on Windows too, if you leave (or do not join to begin with) the Consumer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP).

Just saying…¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• #1874182 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

It can be opted out of on Windows too, if you leave (or do not join to begin with) the Consumer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP).

In terms of general usage statistics, correct. I think what Windows users take issue with are all of the privacy settings in Windows 10. Technically there’s likely a way to opt-out of all of it, but it is complicated.

Nathan Parker

• #1874192 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

On the other hand, the privacy protections offered by Apple seem pretty good to me. And the option to opt out is not only there, but also it and its alternative and the reasons for the latter are clearly spelled out. I don’t think that Apple is hiding any cards up its metaphorical sleeves. And if it did and then tried to play them to gain an unfair advantage or to exploit its users in some underhand way, that could be sufficient cause for some reasonably likely-to-succeed legal action, as Apple’s breaking its promises could be easily represented at an attempt to commit plain and simple fraud. And I don’t think that even mighty Apple would like to go that way — at a minimum, it will risk ending with its valuable reputation in tatters. At least while it is still run by people that still have most of their marbles with them, which is not something that can always be taken for granted, of course.

Edit for content. Please stay on topic. Apple’s official privacy policy allows opting out of telemetry

• #1874224 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

In terms of the major tech companies, I trust Apple more than some of the others in terms of privacy. This doesn’t mean that I would take a carefree attitude with my privacy even with what I have stored with Apple (I don’t store anything with Apple or any other cloud service that I wouldn’t want available publicly because anything can happen). Additionally, Apple’s business model (premium products and now branching into premium services) gives Apple less of an incentive to do things with our privacy in general that competitors who push cheaper hardware and “free” services do with monetizing data.

More to the topic, even Apple’s telemetry for those who decide to keep it enabled has a level of privacy (known as “differential privacy”), so even with Apple collects telemetry and usage data from customers, their goal is to offer as much privacy as possible with the data. While at times this has led to fewer “innovations” (such as Siri lagging behind Alexa and Google Assistant with fewer telemetry data and the data Apple does collect with higher privacy levels), Apple’s privacy focus across-the-board has turned into a solid advantage for the company.

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Apple's official privacy policy allows opting out of telemetry..

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel