News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Application will not install due to Security Warning

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Application will not install due to Security Warning

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jvnase 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

jvnase
      AskWoody Plus

I downloaded a file from fidelity.com to install an active investor program on my Windows 10 (Home edition) PC.  When I try to install it I get the error message shown below:

Annotation-2019-08-01-152417

The same error appears when I try to run the program as an administrator (which I am).

I talked to fidelity but they were no help.  I tried to install with my Norton Security disabled but that did not work.  I am thinking this is a Microsoft issue but did not know where to turn.  A web search also was not helpful.

Any ideas what I should do?

• This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by  jvnase.
      • This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by  PKCano.
      Attachments:
    • #1900522 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

Something nasty might be embedded.

Are you able to run virus checkers on the installation software or send the installer to VirusTotal for verification?

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload

Group G{ot backup} TestBeta
      Win7Pro·x64·SP1·i3-3220·HDD·Microsoft Security Essentials·Windows Backup·Windows System Image·Windows Rescue Disk·Windows Firewall
      • #1900529 Reply

jvnase
        AskWoody Plus

No virus reported.

VirusTotal  reports No engines detected this file.

• #1900571 Reply

PaulK
      AskWoody Lounger

One hit from a Google Search for [ your administrator has blocked this application because it potentially poses a security risk ] is this, which requires some Registry changes.

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1900605 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

Good find. It does seem to be a ClickOnce app. (I only got a warning, not block, on 1903.)

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1901073 Reply

jvnase
        AskWoody Plus

I did not notice that I was not logged in.

As stated the problem is fixed.  I edited the registry as pointed out in PaulK’s reply.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Application will not install due to Security Warning

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.