News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• April Updates Failing

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        DooDahMan
        AskWoody Plus

I’m attempting to install the April 2021 Windows updates, specifically KB5001330, and am consistently receiving the 0x800f081f error. I’ve followed the steps listed in the “<span class=”post-title”>Windows Update KB5001330 fails to install Windows 10 version 20H2 [Solved]” article but without success. The PC is a secondary desktop unit in my home office, used mostly as a data disk backup to my primary workstation. As a last resort I’m considering performing a Windows 10 reset. Does anyone have any suggestions before I throw the Hail Mary?
        </span>

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

Before a reset I do an inplace repair.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
          scootor6
          AskWoody Lounger

Are you able to do an inplace repair when it doesn’t boot up? I installed an update and it now has BSOD with “inaccessible boot device” error. Any way of getting this to boot back up without a full reset?

joep517
        AskWoody MVP

--Joe

2 users thanked author for this post.
        ClearThunder
        AskWoody Plus

Proof positive that the MS Defcon rating system is an invaluable tool to prevent these kinds of near disasters.

"Censorship is thought control" ----- Ronald Reagan

joep517
          AskWoody MVP

This error often indicates a missing file on the system. HOWEVER, without troubleshooting the issue we have no idea if the update is the problem or there is some corruption in the system preventing the update. Many people are not inclined to do the kind of troubleshooting required so an in-place upgrade is a better solution.

The DefCon rating would have no effect on whether this system would update correctly.

--Joe

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

” I noticed that this wasn’t the only issue reported by users. Members at the Microsoft Community forums have stated that they have encountered issues with the KB5001330 Windows Update failing to install. The error code for this is 0x800f0984. Some groups say they got a different error, with the code 0x800f081f. This specific issue is related to Windows Update being unable to fetch the patch from Microsoft’s servers…”

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/04/15/kb5001330-windows-update-is-reportedly-causing-performance-drop-in-games-failed-installs-and-bootloops/

Susan Bradley
          Manager

The answers forum people told them to reset WSUS?  On standalone PCs?  Seriously?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

b
            AskWoody MVP

That’s an error at ghacks.net. The Microsoft moderator recommended a Windows Update reset by referring to a link and didn’t mention WSUS.

(I included two links here but got;

“***
            Your message was blocked. Please contact the administrator via sb@askwoody.com

*** Forbidden. Browser seems to be spambot. ***”)

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.985 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

b
        AskWoody MVP

I’ve followed the steps listed in the “Windows Update KB5001330 fails to install Windows 10 version 20H2 [Solved]” article but without success.

Did this include the last step of six in that article, installing manually from the Catalog?

Windows Update KB5001330 Fails To Install Windows 10 Version 20H2 [Solved]

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.985 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

anonymous

The KB5001330 update is failing for me with error 0x80073701 on Windows 10 20H2.  No proposed solution has worked for me and, for now, I’m just going to ignore it.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Matador
        AskWoody Plus

Unable to install April’s security update (KB5001330) as well, each time with an error code 0x80073701.

Installing the .msu file also fails. Troubleshooter doesn’t appear to fix the problem.

sfc /scannow command found and repaired corrupted files. After a reboot the update still refuses to install.

Is the general consensus to move onto 20H2 or do an in-place repair?

Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: April Updates Failing

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.