News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Are we ready for the new Windows 10 1903?

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Are we ready for the new Windows 10 1903?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Tracey Capen
      AskWoody MVP

A Microsoft tweet announced that the company is now offering Win10 Version 1903 — but only to those who specifically seek it. Opening Windows Update a
      [See the full post at: Are we ready for the new Windows 10 1903?]

• #1846376 Reply

n2ubp
      AskWoody Lounger

I used media creator to build a DVD image of 1903. Worked fine upgrading my i5 test mule Thinkpad T530 from Windows 7 Home x64. It also did not cause any issues with the other half of the dual boot partition with Mint. Still trying to understand why RDP works for me under Win 10 Home. Had a preconfigured connection setup to connection into my old quad core tower.

Could not get the 1903 to upgrade from 1803 Pro on the Q9650 ASUS P5KC quad core tower. Only way to load 1903 on the tower was to nuke and pave with a fresh install. Doing so caused me grief with getting my networked Brother AIO working with this tower along with issues with an old Happaugue ATSC digital TV tuner USB connected adapter and USB connections to my ICOM IC-7000 Ham radio transceiver.

• #1846518 Reply

anonymous

Do you use Win 10 Home to connect to some other computer using RDP? If yes then of course it will work because RDP Client works on Home editions. RDP Server is a different matter and requires Pro/Enterprise/Ultimate

• #1846949 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

apparently Avast is not fully ready for Windows 10 v1903 as there are still some issues with it:

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=225685.msg1507421#msg1507421

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=227414.0
      https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=227414.15

Susan the patch lady needs to take a look at these

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  EP.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1846963 Reply

Susan Bradley
        AskWoody MVP

IMHO if you are rolling out 1903 right now you need to not use third party antivirus and instead use defender.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #1847135 Reply

Noel Carboni
      AskWoody_MVP

I’ve been running v1903 for quite a few months in virtual machines that I use for product testing. I’ve had no problems with stability nor usability. Overall it seems about as tweakable and tunable as v1809 – which is to say bloated as heck and not amenable to much trimming without side effects. You’d better have good hardware to run this OS.

One of my favorite enhancements – an Aero Glass resurrection tool – is not yet available for v1903. For me this kind of thing, among an abundance of caution and conservatism, has kept me from moving up to v1903 on my work desktop hardware, which is still running v1809 quite nicely. But that’s not going to keep. I’ll do the upgrade probably within a month or two.

6 months is woefully too short a time to get used to a new operating system and learn to deal with its quirks. It really should be 3 years. NOTHING has changed to make that any different since the perpetually licensed versions.

For what it’s worth, I’m keeping Win 8.1 on my home system as long as is practical.

-Noel

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1848528 Reply

anonymous

I was running Windows 10 version 1809 (since 12/27/2018) on my HP Omen laptop (7th generation Intel Core i7 7700HQ wih 8 Gb ram and 2.8 Ghz clock speed and 128 Gb Sandisk SSD drive plus 1Tb hard drive for data) and was offered in Windows Update the version 1903 upgrade on 06/09/2019 without ever clicking on search for updates. I went ahead and opted to upgrade 1809 to 1903 that day. It took one hour and 25 minutes to complete the Home version upgrade (25 minutes to download on a wi-fi connection averaging 26 Mb/sec about 3 Gb downloaded and 75 Mb uploaded, and 1 hour to install completely, 45 minutes before first reboot and 15 minutes of rebooting 3 or 4 times). There have been no WER errors reported after installation day, and the build number is now xxxxx.175 after update Tuesday. There are also very few errors and warnings in the error log now, much fewer than with 1809. So I am pretty satisfied with 1903 so far, no problems or complaints. However, I am not on a server and am not a gamer either. just a generic home computer user. My other much older laptop and my two desktops (4th generation Intel Core i5 and i7) all run Windows 7 x64 sp1 until the machines get replaced with newer computers.

• #1848730 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

It seems that running the 1903 media creation tool [MCT] now downloads the “1903 refresh” ESD files that contain build 18362.175 (from the KB4503293 update) instead of build 18362.30.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  EP.
    • #1861058 Reply

Molli10
      AskWoody Plus

Upgrade 1903 went to update automatically. Now it seems to be stuck at 100% and still downloading. It’s been doing this for more than four hours. What’s wrong? I really need help with this problem.

Molli10

• #1861138 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

Try disabling your antivirus program. I think you are using Bitdefender? Another thing which might work is to unplug all USB devices. Also see EP’s post which a few posts up this page. He notes that running the 1903 media creation tool downloads a slightly later version of 1903.

• #1861164 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

If you have a recent backup, just reboot and see what happens.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Are we ready for the new Windows 10 1903?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.