News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Arranging applications and files on a new computer

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Arranging applications and files on a new computer

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 5 days, 2 hours ago.

• Author

Cthru
      AskWoody Plus

Continuing my set-up of a new PC, with many thanks to all the great help so far.

My new machine has a 500GB SSD and a secondary, 1T HDD. (Eventually I’ll install an additional, existing internal 1T HDD reserved for video file storage.) My question is about using the SSD for Windows and programs, and the HDD for file storage. I have read numerous posts in various places recommending this or some variant on this but get confused by the tech language that often accompanies them.

I should note that I’m moving from a W7 PC with a 500GB HDD C-drive that has all my programs and files, except for 1) the video files mentioned above and 2) backups, which go to external drives. My C drive is never much more than a third full, so the new machine represents a significant increase in storage.

I understand the value of having files stored on a separate drive when Windows needs serious help. Where I get lost is:

1. Given that I keep regularly updated disc images and incremental backups (Acronis); that I have created a system-restore USB and will try again to create one including system files (failed first try, as mentioned in a post yesterday); that I will download Windows installation files ISO later today: In the event that Windows does need a reinstallation, what happens to my applications if they are on the same disc? I know that W10 is different in this regard than W7, but I just haven’t had a need to fully understand this till now.
      2. I have read some posts about moving the My Documents, My Pictures, and other come-with-Windows basic folders from C to a secondary, storage drive, but started getting worried; it wasn’t as simple as moving a regular folder, and there seemed to be special Windows innards tweaks that seemed to be something I might have trouble with if something went wrong.
      3. My wife and I will both use this computer. On my present one, we both log in to the same user account and then have separate sub-folders in My Documents for personal folders and files. The common desktop allows easy access to any files with shortcuts. I’m inclined to keep that structure in the new computer for simplicity’s sake, unless there’s some good reason not to.

Any guidance much appreciated!

• #2012765 Reply

cyberSAR
      AskWoody Plus

I’ve done it both ways, especially when I started using SSD with 60GB. Since drive prices have gone down I just install everything into the SSD incl My Docs, photos etc.  I use other drives for storing and archiving but I like the performance of the SSD for programs and data files such as Outlook etc. If your current 500GB isn’t packed full I’d just continue as you are.

• #2012789 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

I have read some posts about moving the My Documents, My Pictures, and other come-with-Windows basic folders from C to a secondary, storage drive, but started getting worried;

That 1809 new release that wiped users data hit those that moved My Documents, My Pictures… to another location. It can happen again.
      With current SSD size and price (I use 256GB M.2 SSD for OS and 1TB HDD for data) there is no need to worry about space.
      I have created my own my documents, my pictures.. folders on the HDD, leaving the one on C drive unused.

90+% of the software I use is portable and is run from the HDD (not SSD) so I don’t pollute the OS with 10 of thousands useless files.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2012902 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Install everything to the SSD and keep your data there as well.
      The only exception would be large read only files, like video files, that are too big to fit. Video files you want to edit would be best on the SSD.

cheers, Paul

• #2012980 Reply

Cthru
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks, everyone. There is clearly a wide range of preference on this topic. Given Alex’s note above, it seems my best option will be to reserve my C drive for applications and such files as .pst (Outlook), and set up my own docs, etc. folders on the main storage HDD, rather than moving the default ones. along with backups, it seems to offer the best protection/easiest recovery in the event of a serious problem.

• #2013256 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Why not use the fast disk for everything and the HDD for backup? Seems a waste of an SSD to me.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Arranging applications and files on a new computer

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.