News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Asking for a Favor About updating my Win 7

Posted on TheFamilyIT Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 patches Asking for a Favor About updating my Win 7

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  PKCano 3 days, 6 hours ago.

• Author

TheFamilyIT
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello,

I am looking for someone with a high level role that would be willing to help me on how to safely install (in correct order) and installing the least amount of telemetry updates for my Windows 7 Pro x64 service pack 1 Custom Computer. Plus, I never heard of a Servicing stacking update being a requirement before installing Bluekeep patch.

I haven’t updated since Jan. 2018 because I am scared of updates causing major operation issues and how Microsoft’s quality control isn’t like how it used to be.

There’s only a few updates under important list and Optional list.  I have attached Screenshots of WU Lists.

I have Norton Security 22.18.0.213 installed (which today installed a patch), PC has SSD and Hard Drive.

Please let me know if you’re willing to help, Thank you in advance.

Windows-Updates-Important-List_8.13.19
      Windows-Updates-Optional-List_8.13.19

Attachments:
    • #1907560 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

I never heard of a Servicing stacking update being a requirement

The Servicing Stack patch is an update for the Windows Update mechanism. You have received Servicing Stack updates in the past through Windows Update, you just may not have known what they were.

I have Norton Security 22.18.0.213 installed (which today installed a patch), PC has SSD and Hard Drive.

We need more information on the specs of your computer (every computer has a hard drive and/or SSD) How old is it? What processor, graphics card, etc does it have? You can download the utility Speccy (free) and run it if you do not know the answers.

….how to safely install (in correct order) and installing the least amount of telemetry updates for my Windows 7 Pro x64 service pack 1 Custom Computer…..
      I haven’t updated since Jan. 2018

Microsoft added telemetry to Win7 through Windows Update beginning in Nov. 2016. So if you were updating through Windows Update until December 2017, there is a good chance you already have the telemetry installed. What started in Jan 2018 that caused all the problems was the Meltdown/Spectre mitigation.

Can you give us your updating history. Were you using Windows Update to patch your computer? Were you using Catalog download/manual install of Security-only Updates and IE11 Cumulative Updates? What patches (if any) were you avoiding? etc.

• #1907619 Reply

TheFamilyIT
        AskWoody Lounger

@pkcano

I know Microsoft starting adding telemetry to Win7 for awhile now. But, I only updated what I needed in order for Windows 7 Pro version to work normally like any PC. So,that I could start installing softwares and setting it up for my uses.

I would update from Windows Update, but if I have to download from Catalog then I know I would have (I can’t remember if I had to). Before I install updates, I would check and wait to see which KB updates to hide and then update.

My custom computer was built 2014. Motherboard: Gibabyte GA-X99-UD4 Hard Drive 1 TB SSD 512GB Graphics card: Asus Strix from 2013 with 2 fans  Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX970

I have attached Screenshot and the Zip is PDF (had to cause 2mb limit) of 11 pages of my Windows Update History.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 1 hour ago by  TheFamilyIT.
        Attachments:
    • #1907737 Reply

Bertram Pincus
      AskWoody Lounger

Look for the KB uninstall .bat file here (and there will be tons of other pointer for  you).

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-7-clean-installation-guide.781213/#post-10086233

• #1907758 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Since you were updating from Windows Update, I assume you were installing the Monthly Rollups. So to bring your computer up to date, you are going to need to use a combination of Catalog downloads/manual install and Windows Update. (If you do not want to install Monthly Rollups, the procedure will be different and more complicated)
      Here’s what I suggest:

Step 1
      You will need to install the latest Servicing Stack and the SHA-2 v1 updates before you can use Windows Update.
      + Download the following updates from the MS Catalog and save them in a folder on your desktop: KB4490628 2019-03 Servicing Stack and KB4474419 2019-03 Security Update (SHA-2 v1). These links are direct downloads from the Catalog, so when you click on the links, the download box will pop up.
      + Close open programs.
      + In Windows Update/Change settings, note your current setting, then set it to “Never check for updates (not recommended).
      + Double click on KB4490628, when the box pops up choose install. When the install is finished, reboot the computer and wait 15 minutes after login to let the installation complete.
      + Double click on KB4474419 when the box pops up choose install. When the install is finished, reboot the computer and wait 15 minutes after login to let the installation complete.
      Let us know if you have any problems before going to step 2.

Step 2
      + In Windows Update/Important updates, if 2019-08 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Win7 KB4512506 is listed, right click on it and choose HIDE. (This is the August update and should not be installed yet.) If the installer for .NET 4.8, KB4503548 is listed, also HIDE it.  Click on “Check for Updates”
      + According to your screenshot, install 2019-07 Rollup for .NET KB4507420, 2019-07 Security Monthly Quality Rollup KB4507449, 2019-08 Security Update KB4474419 (this is version 2) and MSRT KB890830. If there are any other updates offered, ask before you do an update. Leave the unchecked Optional updates alone.
      + Reboot the computer and wait 30 minutes after login to give the installation time to complete and the maintenance tasks time to finish and  before doing anything.
      Let us know the results.

If there are no problems, you will need to unhide KB4512506 (Do NOT install) and reset WU to the original setting.

• #1908071 Reply

TheFamilyIT
        AskWoody Lounger

@pkcano

Besides creating a system restore point, should I also do a full system and full image back ups before updating, right? I remember reading a couple of weeks ago here, in one of the forum topics that Win7 that is really up to date will have just as much telemetry as Win10. What’s your opinion on this ??

What is the minimum security updates needed to keep PC safe with minimal unavoidable telemetry and have no risk of PC to start having boot up issues (caused by being out of date.Which happened to Mom’s Win8.1 before working again)?  I don’t know when I will give in & have to go into the dark side & upgrade to Win10.

So, that July Monthly Quality Rollup have any telemetry? Plus, I thought with Monthly Rollups you can’t avoid hidden telemetry.

According to WU History, I did try to install, but all 4 failed of Monthly Quality Security Updates and Cumulative Security 2 year ago.  I didn’t see same KB names later on the list. See screenshot below Windows-Update-History_MonthlyRollups_CumulativeSecurity

Attachments:
        • #1908254 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

Besides creating a system restore point, should I also do a full system and full image back ups before updating, right?

Absolutely you should backup before you do any updating. You should make a full disk image (including boot sector and all partitions) and a file backup of your data (everything under the User ID(s)).

I haven’t updated since Jan. 2018 because I am scared of updates causing major operation issues and how Microsoft’s quality control isn’t like how it used to be.

Looking at your screenshot, I see failures going back farther than 2017-12 CU for Windows, so you are not updated to Dec 2017. Can you make a screen shot of the last time the CU for Windows (not Active Killbits) was successful, on both sides of that point, with the dates and the Status showing? There may be more to be done to fix this than just updating.

• #1908537 Reply

TheFamilyIT
            AskWoody Lounger

@pkcano

I have done a full image backup before, but when you said “.. (including boot sector and all partitions)..”  what are the steps to do this ?

Did you look through that Zip file (contains PDF) of WU History?…Maybe I manually installed the safer/necessary security updates..

First screenshot, WU main window of when PC was last updated. The rest is Installed Updates List.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 3 hours ago by  TheFamilyIT.
            Attachments:
        • #1908935 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

I am confused. I really don’t understand what I see.
          Microsoft started the Cumulative patching in October 2016.
          But the updates I see in your screenshots are older than that with a few exceptions.
          Since the beginning of 2017, the KB numbers for Windows patches have started with a “4”
          I see none of these in your screenshots. They are all “3” and “2”
          But you say you haven’t updated since Dec. 2018, implying you were updating until that time.

So before we go any further, I need to know what is honestly going on
          Did you just reinstall Windows in 2018 choosing nothing but the older individual updates?
          I need to know what is installed on the computer – not the History b/c that only shows what has been tried.
          In Windows Update, lower left corner, pull up Installed updates. (see my first screenshot).
          There needs to be three columns: Name, Program, and Installed on. You can slide the columns by grabbing the title and dragging it sideways. Sort the columns on “Name” by clicking on the title – it is a toggle, the little triangle should be pointing down. Scroll down to the “Microsoft Windows” section and shoot everything from there down.
          You may need to create more than one reply to upload all of them, or you can email them to me at (pkcano at askwoody dot com). If you use the email, be sure to put your ID and a reference to Askwoody in the subject. See screenshots.

Attachments:

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Asking for a Favor About updating my Win 7

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.