News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • AskWoody for Dummies

Home Forums AskWoody Central Getting started AskWoody for Dummies

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  b 4 months ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

Have a general orientation question?

What is the AskWoody Lounge?

How do I comment on a newsletter article?

Where should I leave a question?

They’re all good questions. Let’s tackle them here.

• #922083 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

What is the AskWoody Lounge?

It’s the part of AskWoody that you get to by clicking on links in the right-hand column.

AskWoody’s composed of three parts: The blog (that’s the stuff on the left side of the main page); Downloads (links up at the top); and the Lounge (where people ask and answer questions).

It’s a bit confusing at first (even at second) but if you dive in and ask a question, you’ll quickly see how it hangs together.

Other terms you’ll find useful:

Forum = A place to ask or answer questions about a specific subject. The forums are set up in advance; they’re kind of the skeleton that the Lounge hangs on.

Topic = A question or discussion thread.

Reply = A post in a Topic.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #927039 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

Downloads? There are downloads? 🤔

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #922166 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

How do I comment on a newsletter article?

I wish I could put direct links in all of the newsletter articles that point to specific discussion Topics. Unfortunately, it’s a chicken-and-egg situation. Right now, I wait until the newsletter is out, then set up a Topic for each article here on the site.

In order to comment on a specific newsletter article, look here on the AskWoody.com main page, at the list on the left side. Depending on how old the article is, you may have to scroll down a bit. But you will find an entry for every article.

When you find the entry, up at the top, click on Comment on the AskWoody Lounge.

• #922274 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

Where should I leave a question?

First, use the Search box on the right to see if someone else has already posted the question. It happens more frequently than you might think.

If you can find a similar question, click on it and, down at the bottom, add your Reply to the Topic.

If you can’t find a similar question, you need to start a new Topic. Look in the lower right corner for a list of Forums. Find one that fits your question. Click on it then, at the bottom, type in a Topic name and below that ask your question. (No need to put “HELP” in your Topic name — that’s why people create new Topics!)

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: AskWoody for Dummies

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.