News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • AskWoody Password

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    • This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Excuse me for being dense, but is the ‘eye’ supposed to be here on the Password line?
        LoginPanel

Or is it to help one in a “Lost your password?” situation?

I am on a pretty-much-single-use home computer so this is not a concern for me; but I could imagine a scenario where there could be an exposure.

Attachments:
      • #2277712 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

If you click the eye, it shows you the letters/symbols you have typed so you can verify you have entered the correct password.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2277718 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Yes, I see (ahem!) that. But most (which isn’t many) web sites that I’m familiar with do not make it that easy for a possible interloper to discover someone else’s password. My aging recollection is that this eye hasn’t always been here on this line.

• #2277719 Reply
          Kirsty
          Da Boss

That button shows what you have entered. It’s quite common…

• #2277733 Reply
        Elly
        AskWoody MVP

For people like me, that have difficulty typing accurately (due to tremor), being able to ‘see’ the password typed is a plus, as I can correct it before attempting to log on.

Your password is only visible if you click on the eye. If someone is shoulder surfing, I wouldn’t be typing the password, let alone making it visible. If you don’t want to view your password, don’t click on it.

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: AskWoody Password

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.