Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • AskWoody server gets upgraded. Do you see anything different?

Home Forums AskWoody blog AskWoody server gets upgraded. Do you see anything different?

This topic contains 41 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  MrBrian 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

We’ve had a string of record-breaking days here on AskWoody, and the devs just upgraded the server configuration. They’ve also fixed the caching probl
      [See the full post at: AskWoody server gets upgraded. Do you see anything different?]

6 users thanked author for this post.
    • #185823 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody MVP

It’s really fast. That’s the only difference I see.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #185836 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Now THAT’s what I wanted to hear….

4 users thanked author for this post.
        • #185881 Reply

zero2dash
          AskWoody Lounger

Came to post the same thing.
          Site is very fast and responsive now.
          (If you don’t mind me asking) what’d they do? More resources? Software update?
          Whatever it is, it definitely makes a TREMENDOUS difference. It’s a completely different site (in a good way). 🙂

• #185931 Reply

woody
            Da Boss

We went from a two core to a four core configuration, bumped up the cache. It costs twice as much, but seems to work much better.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #185835 Reply

TweakHound
      AskWoody Lounger

Wicked fast!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #185832 Reply

anonymous

Finally!

• #185840 Reply

columbia2011
      AskWoody Lounger

Really flies!

• #185841 Reply

fernlady
      AskWoody Lounger

wow! really fast!

Windows 7 Home x64 AMD Group A
      Realtek PCLe GBE Family Controller

• #185839 Reply

anonymous

It is fast, right now, at 2:28 PM EDT. Whether that is because the server is now running better, or because most people that would be accessing it aren’t, as it has been running too slow for them in recent days, we’ll find out soon enough. I hope that the first reason is the right one.

• #185862 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

That’s precisely the intellectual knot I’m trying to untangle. We see a slowdown in visits every day, at mid-day US time. I’m betting that the server was holding us back.

Right now it looks like we’ll hit the all-time high for a day’s visitors. (The clock restarts every day at midnight, UTC.)

• #185844 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Lounger

Server response is fast right now, at 2:31 PM EDT.

Apropos of nothing:

That man in the photo: could be me, at the beginning of my career. The surrounding, and probably then brand new equipment, and the glasses, look about right…

• #185847 Reply

anonymous

Yes indeed – I wrote my first lines of code on one of those 1620s. Fortran-II (Kingstran compiler). Summer 1970. I was hooked from that day forward.

• #185858 Reply

anonymous

Also had an external 40K core storage unit (about as big as the card reader/punch in the picture) for a whopping total of 60K!  (“Digits”, rather than “bytes”).  It was my first foray into machine language too.

• #185863 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

AHA! You recognized it!

My first computer was a 1620. My first real job, other than delivering newspapers, was as “proctor” for my college’s 1620.

I even showed PDQ Bach (Peter Schickele) how to “play” electronic music by tuning an AM radio to static and setting it on top of the CADET.

• #185877 Reply

anonymous

Those were the days.  Lots of blinking lights and clicking relays.  Not to mention the console!  Did you know if you opened one of the side panels even a little the machine would pause?  (Mean practical joke to play on students – more than one went away with his deck of cards scratching his head wondering why the program “locked up”.)  Oh, and before I forget, the site is way faster.  Thought I should come out of my reverie long enough to confirm that.

• #185854 Reply

Richard Allen
      AskWoody Lounger

Very impressive Mr. Woody! The site opened stupid fast when coming here from Feedly.

• #185855 Reply

anonymous

The swivel chair has only 4 legs instead of 5: that is a safety hazard. Also, the iron weight to hold down the punch cards in the card reader seems absent.

• #185865 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

I think I see the card reader weight. Fond memories of losing the $#@! thing and having to push the stack down by hand.

Also enjoyed the Hollerith-style sorter…

We did get a model 1311 hard drive, if memory serves, during my senior year. Those platters were a sight to behold. Whopping 2 million character (12M bit) storage capacity.

• #185929 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Lounger

Interesting memories of stumbling and dropping a card deck on the way to or from the card reader. Remarkable consequences too: I believe a self-aware AI came about that way, briefly, until the deck problem was noticed, the cards rearranged in their intended order and read back in, to finish updating the Library’s catalog.

• #186221 Reply

Jim VS
            AskWoody Lounger

Floor Sort! What would we have done without all those empty shoe boxes and cardboard soda-can cases to carry the cards in?

Back to today – nice and snappy Woody!

jimzdoats

• #185876 Reply

wdburt1
      AskWoody Lounger

Obvious question: Why the record-breaking days?

• #185932 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Primarily word-of-mouth, I think, combined with greater stability on the site.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #185878 Reply

Mr. Natural
      AskWoody Lounger

That’s a fine looking upgrade there Woody. Looks like you still need to hook up that new fangled VGA monitor with 256 colors!

I took my first class in computers after I graduated high school in the mid 70’s. At that time there were no personal computers and the class was creating a program to run from those punch cards. I hated it. LOL Never was into programming and to this day proud to say I still use good old bat files for any simple commands that need to run.

It took the personal computer to come of age to garner my interest in computers. When I started working where I’m at they had a VAX and a VAX mini computer acting as servers. the network was the old cat-2 coax with bnc connectors. Desktop pc’s were 386 systems with 2 meg of memory, NO hard drive. The pc’s booted off floppy disk to join the network.

Oh yeah and I used to walk barefoot uphill in 2 feet of snow back in those days…. 🙂

• #185879 Reply

GCG1000
      AskWoody Lounger

I like the IBM 2540 Card Reader/Punch you’re using as your primary input device in the pix.  It brings back fond memories of the pain and suffering some of us went through when implementing IBM’s OS 360.  Good luck with your new server.

• #185891 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Lounger

I just noticed: when on the Home page of this site coming first into Woody’s, or switching back from a discussion going inside it, although connection to the Home page is fast, the little circular arrow indicating “connection in progress” keeps on circling and circling, it appears, indefinitely. But once clicking on the “comment” link to a particular discussion thread, the connection is fast and the circling stops almost at once.

Another self-indulgent walk down memory lane:

The IBM 360/50 in which, some years after I started on a 1620 my relationship with computers, I did the calculations for my thesis, had a ferrite core central memory. It consisted of panels, the size of regular window panes, with wires tensed inside and crossing at regular intervals, and wherever they crossed, there sit a little ring (“core”) of magnetic ferrite that changed the polarization of its field in response to the currents circulating in those wires. One polarization meaning “0”, the opposite meaning “1”. The frame had rows and rows of such rings. So: one ferrite “core” = one bit.

One of those very same panels is now in a technology museum, the Powerhouse Museum overlooking Sydney Harbour, near the Bridge and the Opera House.

Which makes for a strange frisson, looking at what  am using now to type this in, far more powerful than that IBM machine (and don’t let me get started on those tiny-sized computers inside “smart” phones and on the GPUs in gaming control boxes!) realizing that time passes and reality changes, and it’s like a river that always flows and always changes, so one can’t swim twice in the same water, or so said old Heraclitus the Philosopher.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  OscarCP.
    • #185890 Reply

anonymous

maybe the infrastructure is different in the east…
      maybe its the VPN Im on – its streaming 1GBps anyway
      dont notice any difference – its fast as it was before (back in 2015)
      as long as the page load up – Im happy
      still glad to know many ppl here enjoy the ‘record-breaking days’ 🙂
      been a great journey woody!!! 🙂
      best wishes for many more successful years ahead

back to fishing for better dreams

• #185924 Reply

anonymous

Noticed some hick ups a few days ago. Site wouldn’t load at all or veeeeeeeeeeeeery slowly (in Europe at least).

Seems more than ok now.

• #185937 Reply

JDeC
      AskWoody Lounger

WOW! your site loaded so fast it took me by surprise, GREAT JOB, WOODY!

Group B HP Pavilion-dv6 Win7x64 Home Premium-Intel Core i5-3210M CPU

• #185945 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Lounger

It is 7:47 PM EDT. The site has slowed down noticeably, but it’s still running better than what used to be its usual crawl.

• #185973 Reply

Noel Carboni
      AskWoody MVP

Seems quite responsive right now.

To be honest, nothing seems terribly different to me, but I haven’t had much to complain about going back quite a long while, save for a few times now and then where things noticeably specifically slowed down or errors were emitted.

-Noel

• #185978 Reply

SkipH
      AskWoody Lounger

Try clicking on the picture of the old system and the operator, get this message:

Not Found

Sorry, but you are looking for something that is not here.

Link is:

https://www.askwoody.com/1620/

• #186036 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Yeah. Weird. I don’t know why that happened. It’s all put together automagically by WordPress.

• #185997 Reply

Microfix
      AskWoody MVP

Yup, quick here!

It’s like having the website on a hard drive opposed to a floppy drive before the host migration.

Let’s see how it copes once the MS-DEFCON level is raised 😉

| 2x Group A- W8.1 | Group A+ Linux Hybrid | Group W W7 Pro | Group W XP Pro
        No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
    • #186019 Reply

anonymous

Well, the page loaded. That didn’t always happen for me this past week. Sometimes a refresh would fix it. Sometimes I’d get a Database Error and just have to wait until later.

Here’s hoping that’s a thing of the past!

• #186075 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody MVP

One thing I have noticed: The site is usually very fast; but on those rare occasions when it is slow, it seems to auto-adjust and get faster. In other words, the slow time is only a momentary thing; almost immediately it gets back to being fast once again.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #186140 Reply

SkipH
      AskWoody Lounger

Yeah. Weird. I don’t know why that happened. It’s all put together automagically by WordPress.

11AM PDT, still a dead link

• #186169 Reply

anonymous

Nice to see “current info” again.  Anonymous Purg2 likes it like that.  Thanks to Woody & the gang.

• #186921 Reply

Seff
      AskWoody Lounger

The site is running beautifully for me this week, a joy to navigate!

• #187637 Reply

anonymous

Haven’t noted the slightest issue (at least that I can remember) since the fix that came BEFORE the ‘caching issue fix’ (applied on some recent weekend). I would have even settled for the occasional stale cache entry to keep things working how they are now.

Any word on when the Amazon affiliate link will be fixed / validated to work?

• #187680 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Good question.

I’ve been testing the general affiliate link and I don’t think it’s working. (Links to specific items on the right side of the page work. The general link at the top, as far as I can tell, isn’t.)

I haven’t a clue what I’m doing wrong! Wonder if there are any Amazon gurus out there.

• #188041 Reply

MrBrian
      AskWoody MVP

I wonder much more traffic this site might get if more of its content were indexed by web search engines.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: AskWoody server gets upgraded. Do you see anything different?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.