News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • AskWoody Ultimate Utilities List — Fall edition

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog AskWoody Ultimate Utilities List — Fall edition

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Tracey Capen
        AskWoody MVP

UTILITIES By TB Capen Playing with new utilities for Windows PCs can be fun. Many are free, and they show an inventive range of solutions to common
        [See the full post at: AskWoody Ultimate Utilities List — Fall edition]

4 users thanked author for this post.
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

My approach is basically identical with yours.  Only difference is that I take the oppurtunity to get a new system with the new OS already-installed. I did that for win7 and, recently, again for win10.  And my list of  “essential utiities” is pretty much like yours.

One thing that bugs me a little bit is that whenever *anyone* [you included] lists password managers, no one *ever* includes password safe.   It is uncomplicated, secure and the one I’ve used for a lot of years.  Is there some problem with pwsafe that drops it off of everyone’s “programs to get” lists?

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Tom in Az
          AskWoody Plus

@berniec: I too have used password safe for several years. I like it. I think people don’t like the fact that it does not auto-fill passwords. I’m not sure I want a password manager doing anything automatic.

plodr
        AskWoody Plus

I need a pdf viewer. After getting fed up with Adobe and Foxit becoming more and more bloated, I settled on Sumatra.

Got coffee?

Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

Firefox browser now views pdf’s just fine, and you don’t need another separate program.  I have it, use it, and like it.

Tom in Az
          AskWoody Plus

@plodr: I like PDF-Xchange Viewer and have used it for quite a while. Used Foxit in the past, can’t remember why I ditched it.

plodr
        AskWoody Plus

Firefox is not my default browser. I have ESR installed but since it is so slow, I rarely fire it up. I also don’t run Windows 10.

I found this https://www.ghacks.net/2020/06/03/firefox-78-set-firefox-as-the-default-pdf-viewer-on-windows/

Since we get pdfs as email attachments from two organizations we are on the board of, having a dedicated pdf viewer for files on the computer is the better option for us.

Got coffee?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by plodr.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: AskWoody Ultimate Utilities List — Fall edition

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.