News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Assumptions made before help offered

Home Forums Outside the box Rants Assumptions made before help offered

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  MrJimPhelps 2 days, 18 hours ago.

• Author

anonymous

Those who attempt to help those in need with misunderstood jargon, referral to esoteric old posts and snide comments about “I told you to…”  or “If you had ….” are no help at all; even if the information given is correct. Ignoring apologies for ignorance and adding sideways insults negate any knowledge you are trying to impart. Think before you look down your nose on those who don’t know everything as you believe you do!

That said, those who have the enormous patience required to help those who don’t follow every change in technology (esp microsoft update c**p) are truly wonderful folks. Thank you!

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2001167 Reply

SueW
      AskWoody Plus

On the other hand, there of those in need who will not take the time to either use the “Search The Lounge” box or read a particular thread in order to help themselves. Perhaps it’s because some folks want instant gratification instead of taking some of their own time to do some searching/reading.

And for those volunteers who answer the same question(s) over and over again, I can understand their frustration of having to answer the same question(s) over and over again.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about those with enormous patience!

Win 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit; Office 2010; Group B; Former 'Tech Weenie'

6 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2002469 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

It truly works both ways. I’ve been doing tech support for most of my adult life, and I have been shocked at the arrogant and impatient attitude exhibited by some of my coworkers over the years. Conversely, I have had to deal with users who have thought that they knew everything and I knew nothing, and they refused to try some steps that I suggested or answer some questions that I asked. Two such users come to mind.

One of the users needed to set up security questions on her account, so that she could remotely change her password. We had recently implemented this functionality, and the system was nibbling away at a few additional users every month — each month, more and more users would begin to get locked out, with no way to reset their password till they set up their security questions. I feared that she had gotten caught in that, so I advised her to set up her security questions, but she refused, acting like I was crazy for even asking her to do that. Every few months after that I would check her account for “nostalgia” reasons (kind of like a walk down memory lane), and a year and more later she still had not set up her security questions! I never spoke with her after that call, so I have no idea what ended up happening with her network account.

The other user knew everything, and I knew nothing. She talked down to me the entire call. As I recall, I don’t believe she ever got her issue addressed, because she refused to let me help her.

99.9% of the users I dealt with were very grateful for the time and effort I put into helping them and the patience I had with them. Thankfully, callers like the two I described above were extremely rare.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
        1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2001239 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

This site is not perfectly moderated, but “perfect” is not a reasonable expectation to have of anything that humans do. This begs the question: just how imperfect? For example: I have had (as have others), and complained about, comments being, occasionally, edited or even deleted without explanation or any obvious (to the commenter) need. I have, now and then, received some questions answered  too briefly and not covering the whole of what was being asked. But I never have come across a disrespectful or a patronizing answer (at least to those of us that do not take offense very easily). Or read such an answer directed to someone else. In consequence, I have my doubts that these are usual, frequent, or even real. This, of course, should not be confused with some MVP sternly admonishing those that do something silly, irresponsible and possibly dangerous, such as (in recent memory) posting a link to a “dark Internet” site (*). I am entirely OK with anything like that being declared “not OK” in no uncertain, but always measured, terms. Luckily, this rarely happens.

(*) Much in the “dark Internet” is quite alright and it’s there only because its origin needs to be kept under wraps, as in the case of some anonymous whistle blowers’ disclosures made in the public interest. But much else there is either unreliable or outright misinformation, or covert criminal activity, or might convey malware.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2002470 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

Keep in mind that almost no one is paid here at AskWoody. The only people who receive any financial compensation are the developers, Woody, and the handful of columnists who post articles in the AskWoody newsletter. I’m guessing that Woody doesn’t put much in his pocket; he may break even, but I’m not sure about that.

There are moderators and administrators who put in long hours, working tirelessly to keep AskWoody a civil place, and who keep bots and hackers off the site. None of them receive any financial compensation.

There are also lots of people who spend time researching questions asked and who give helpful answers to peoples’ questions. None of them receive any financial compensation.

I was in the moderators group at one time, but I never had time to devote to it. I wish I had, because I would have learned an awful lot of really cool stuff and would have been mentored by the very best in the business.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
        2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2001980 Reply

DriftyDonN
      AskWoody Plus

But I never have come across a disrespectful or a patronizing answer (at least to those of us that do not take offense very easily). Or read such an answer directed to someone else. In consequence, I have my doubts that these are usual, frequent, or even real.

I would very much like to find this nirvana. The interweb I have traversed while seeking help since the advent of the public “www”  is much more nasty and REAL. Sad to say.

I hope you are never exposed to the dark, snarky trolls who hide out there, and have your doubts proven wrong. Really do.

I have also met some most wonderful caring folks ever, the world over!

respectfully,

D

• This reply was modified 3 days, 20 hours ago by  DriftyDonN.
      • #2002039 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

DriftyDonN: You are quite right about the general situation on the Web, but I was referring to my own particular experience in this particular site: askwoody.com . And only in this site. I thought this was clear enough and in need of no further explanation. But, as you seemed to have missed my point, that is what I just have written here, putting it in black on white. A ‘Nirvana’, you say? Well, not really: just better than average.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

• #2002111 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Given the amount of time it takes to keep up with this board (we’re all volunteers) I think the odd lack of patience is completely acceptable.

cheers, Paul

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2002397 Reply

DriftyDonN
      AskWoody Plus

Rereading the first post,I think the intent was a general statement, not targeting this site. My reply was painted with a broad brush, covering many years of personal experience, certainly not aimed at any site in particular. Seems this ‘Rant’ is going off the rails a bit. BTW, OscarCP you’re right..I DID think you were speaking in general terms. I responded I guess because you said you didn’t think rude, obnoxious replies were ‘real’ and in my experience, they are all too real and common. So, it’s a case of misunderstood intent it seems.

I have seen MANY of your posts that are nothing but respectful, helpful and a remarkable example of the help that IS out there! Thank you!

2 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Assumptions made before help offered

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.