News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Audio sync / delay issues

Posted on garyfritz Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        garyfritz
        AskWoody Lounger

I have an HP Spectre x360 15t-ch0xx.  These systems originally come with a Realtek audio driver.  As with apparently many Realtek drivers, it had problems; the main was that it would start playing audio about 2-3 seconds after you you started the video/whatever.  Annoying.

Following advice online, I ditched the Realtek driver and went with a generic Microsoft driver.  That solved the 2-3 sec delay, but I believe this was the one with the mushy/crackly distortion in the left channel through the headphone jack — which I use 99% of the time to feed larger/better speakers.

In May HP posted a new Realtek driver (Release 6.0.8940.1 Rev.B, 5/5/2020). It works… most of the time, sorta.  My current headache is that the audio gets out of sync.  Usually the audio leads the video, by as much as 0.5 – 1.0 second or more.  This is VERY distracting when I’m using the laptop to drive a projector to watch a movie — or Hamilton, as I did this week.

Sometimes I can restart the player and that will resync the sound… but then it quickly drifts off again.  And this is not an ideal solution when you’re trying to watch a movie.  The delay happens regardless of video source:  Youtube, Disney+, whatever.

As far as I’ve noticed, it does NOT do this with a USB speaker.

Any suggestions?  How can I make this thing work the way it’s supposed to??

Gary

Windows 10 Pro, 1909 18363.836, installed 8/22/19
        Realtek High Definition Audio (SST)
        New Realtek driver, explained above

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by PKCano.
        • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by garyfritz.
      • #2278816 Reply
        NetDef
        AskWoody_MVP

Have you tried turning OFF “Allow hardware acceleration of audio with this device” in the advanced properties for your sound device/card?

Control Panel > Sound > (select sound output device) > Properties > Advanced

In the same place, turn off all “enhancements” and test.

~ Group "Weekend" ~

• #2278884 Reply
        garyfritz
        AskWoody Lounger

I had not done that.  I’ve turned it off now.  So far so good — I will report back if it does/doesn’t seem to fix the problem.  Thanks @NetDef!

• #2279048 Reply
        garyfritz
        AskWoody Lounger

Well, bother.  I watched a movie and it seemed OK.  I thought I maybe saw a little lag but by the end of the movie it was fine.

Then I watched another, and almost immediately the sound was out of sync.

Did I need to reboot after turning off that hardware-acceleration setting, or anything like that?

• #2280358 Reply
        garyfritz

No other suggestions?  No ideas to fix this very annoying lag?  @NetDef?  Anyone?

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Audio sync / delay issues

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.