News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Auto close specific app at shutdown

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Auto close specific app at shutdown

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  RetiredGeek 1 month ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Is there a “mirror image” of the “Start at power up” facility?

At Win 10 shutdown (via RMC Windows tile/Shutdown or sign out/Shut down” I always forget to close a specific app (actually a ClocX clock on my desktop), and Windows refuses to shut down unless I force it or close ClocX.

I know I could use a shortcut to shutdown.exe to force an immediate shutdown of everything, but at my age (only 45, but that’s in Hex!) there’s a danger I could forget that I have other apps open, possibly with unsaved work.

That’s why I’m seeking a process whereby SPECIFIC apps can be auto-closed when shutdown is requested, but for any remaining apps the current “are you sure” routine would still work.

Can any kind soul offer a solution? I know it’s trivial, but it’s also irritating.

Thanks in advance….

• #1998354 Reply

Anonymous

OK, I found out how to do this myself, but I’ll post the reply here in case anyone else needs to find out how to do this (I’d suggest you read it in full before “tinkering”).

First, install gpedit.msc. This is not normally installed on Windows 10 Home edition, but can be installed free from Zero Dollar Tips here – https://www.zerodollartips.com/install-gpedit-msc-windows-10-home/

Then create and save a batch file e.g KillAtShutdown.bat

sample batch file code invoking TaskKill

taskkill /IM NameOfAppYouWantToKillAtShutdown.exe /F

(replace the name – the /IM says “use the name of the task”, and the /F is “force”)

Then run gpedit.msc from the Run command (as Administrator).

Navigate to Local Computer Policy/Windows Settings/Scripts(Startup/Shutdown) and select it.

Click on Add, then navigate to wherever you stored the batch file and select it.

That adds it to the list of scripts to execute.

Click OK, and that’s it!

Obviously you should test the bat file before installing it. You can usually do this with RightMouseClick and “Run as Administrator”.

You can find the proper name of the program using Task Manager via Ctrl+Alt+Delete and selecting Processes. RMC the name, select Properties, and the full name is in the box at the top of the General tab.

Enjoy!…

• #1998408 Reply

RetiredGeek
      AskWoody MVP

WS,

Interesting! I downloaded ClocX to see if I could gen up a process for you since I had no items that would stop shutdown with the exception of MS Office apps and they resist the methods I’ve tried if there is unsaved data.

After loading ClocX I tried a restart and no problem. Before I work further on this you may want to uninstall and after reboot reinstall ClocX to see if that solves the problem.

FYI: Win10 1903 Pro. ClocX 1.6.0 x64

HTH :cool :

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Auto close specific app at shutdown

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel