News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • AutoHotkey – Create your own Win 10 'winver' (updated)

Posted on Rick Corbett Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Developers, developers, developers DevOps Lounge AutoHotkey – Create your own Win 10 'winver' (updated)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Rick Corbett 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

I can no longer add posts to the original thread in the Windows Secrets Lounge forum (apparently because the thread is over 99 days old [?]) so I’m going to continue here…

Very briefly, IMO Win 10’s built-in winver is not especially helpful. For something that’s supposed to inform you of the Windows version, 50% of the GUI is just blank space, 40% waffles on about Microsoft and a scant 10% actually provides useful information, e.g. edition, version, build and revision.

So… I wrote an alternative (using AutoHotkey) that shows the same edition, version, build and revision information but in a very compact GUI:

my-winver

Then I thought… it can be made more useful. So currently it looks like this:

my-winver-with-support

It now copies the information to the Windows clipboard in case you get asked – ooh, say, by someone on AskWoody… and you can just paste the info from the clipboard into a reply.

Perhaps more useful, click on one of the links and your default browser will open at the relevant MS info page.

Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll post the code (or a link to it).

Attachments:
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #340555 Reply

Berton123
      AskWoody Lounger

I’m interested in it.

• #340911 Reply

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

@berton123 (and any others who are interested) – I’ve updated my AHK script today to take into account the cumulative update to Build 17763.379.

The script is now ~460 lines now so probably too long to paste into this post. πŸ™‚

Here’s the AHK script in the Public folder of my Google drive. You should be able to download the script using the icon on top-right of the screen.

ahk-script-on-google-drive-2

Let me know of any problems.

Hope this helps…

Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #341008 Reply

RetiredGeek
      AskWoody MVP

Rick,

Here’s a PowerShell version:Β Get-WinVerV3

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

Attachments:
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #345209 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

Here’s a PowerShell version: Get-WinVerV3

My apologies, RG. I had no idea that you had replied.

Wow… πŸ™‚ It’s obvious that you take far greater care than I do in creating well-formed scripts complete with copious error-checking… something I’m usually very remiss about. (Slapdash is my middle name… πŸ™‚ )

I’m deeply envious of the apparent simplicity of your Get-VersionURL and Get-BuildURL functions. I’m sure something similar is possible in AHK but I’m just not proficient enough to know how.

The ShowDialog function looks horribly complex (112 lines) by comparison to AHK (18 lines). It takes 11 lines to describe a single textbox (vs 1 in AHK)? That’s just nuts. πŸ™‚

I’ve been trying to get my head round PowerShell more in the last week and have begun to appreciate much more how powerful it can be, especially for things like interrogation of event logs… something which AHK is, IMO, poor at. It was through my ‘playing’ that I discovered how easy it is to – for example – parse and count different “Microsoft-Windows-Time-Service” events. I have no idea at all how to do in AHK what I did in PowerShell within a few minutes of experimentation.

IMO AHK’s strength is on the visual side… so I’ll continue to use a hybrid approach, i.e. using PowerShell wrapped in AHK to do more of the heavy lifting as I become more familiar with it. However, I’m basically lazy and just interested in quick-and-dirty solutions (not like your elegant and very professional style) so I’ll continue to use AHK for the user interfaces. πŸ™‚

Reply To: AutoHotkey – Create your own Win 10 'winver' (updated)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: