News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Automatic Log In not working.

Posted on WSmmi16 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Automatic Log In not working.

Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  wavy 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

WSmmi16
      AskWoody Lounger

My W10 system rebooted this morning.  I have previously had it set for Automatic Sign In but this time it asked me for my password.  What has been changed and how can I change it back to be automatic.

• #1358769 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

First try logging in by just leaving the “Password” box empty.

If that doesn’t work, and you have a Microsoft account (instead of or in addition to a Local account), you can log in to the MS account and recover a password.

Password settings (if you can get in to the desktop) are here:
      Settings>Accounts>Sign in options – you can change your password to a blank by putting the cursor in the box and hitting “Enter” without entering any data.

• #1359128 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

My W10 system rebooted this morning.  I have previously had it set for Automatic Sign In but this time it asked me for my password.  What has been changed and how can I change it back to be automatic.

It happened to me on Windows 10 Pro 1809 after April updates.
      Run netplwiz and Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer and click OK.

• #1447785 Reply

WSmmi16
      AskWoody Lounger

It happened to me on Windows 10 Pro 1809 after April updates.
      Run netplwiz and Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer and click OK.

The password box is not checked!

• #1474719 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

I do not know what caused the change, but I use autologon for that purpose.
      https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autologon

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Automatic Log In not working.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.