News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Automatic Update Group Policy Being Ignored

Posted on MarcVRML Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 2004 – May 2020 Update Automatic Update Group Policy Being Ignored

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        MarcVRML
        AskWoody Lounger

Another Windows 10 2004 glitch I’ve noticed following my recent reinstall, is that despite the Group Policy for Windows Update Checking being set to “disabled” on the local computer policy section, updates are still checked for daily.

I’ve looked for KB 4023057 in installed updates, and it’s not there, so I just wondered if anyone else is seeing this behaviour, and if so – any fixes?

Best,

Marc

• #2299292 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Look in the Settings App under Apps. I believe KB 4023057 installs as an App.

• #2299293 Reply
        MarcVRML
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks PKCano – just checked, no luck. No apps listed beginning with KB or containing those digits.

Best,

Marc

• #2299297 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

I don’t think it is called “KB something”
          Look for a name implying MS helper.
          Try the Control Panel/Add Remove Programs

• #2299299 Reply
        MarcVRML
        AskWoody Lounger

Hm – nothing that implies a helper. Closest I’ve got to that is a Microsoft app called “App Installer”.

In the event log I have several installer messages from “Windows update service”. One relates to a game update, and the others are all phone updates (I use the Xbox Gaming service, but I don’t use the phone service).

• #2299300 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Perhaps you didn’t get that on – you don’t want it!!
          I can’t tell you what it’s called. I have never let it on my machines 🙂

• #2299301 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Try the uninstall procedure given in the link already given by PKCano relevant to your OS bitness, it’ll do no harm if it’s not there and should remove the kb if it is:

Update removal information

To uninstall this update, follow these steps:

Click Start and then type cmd.exe.
        Right-click Command Prompt and then click Run as administrator.
        In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type one of the following commands as appropriate for your system:
        For ARM-based systems: msiexec.exe /x {9C2C39FE-FDA8-4024-AE74-F06716B22D58}
        For x64-based systems: msiexec.exe /x {32DC821E-4A7D-4878-BEE8-337FA153D7F2}
        For x86-based systems: msiexec.exe /x {5F01BF33-E873-4B83-B2CC-E4DEF494073E}

Win8.1 Pro | Linux Hybrids | Win7 Pro O/L | WinXP O/L
      • #2299303 Reply
        MarcVRML
        AskWoody Lounger

Sorry PKCano – not sure what you mean. App Installer?

• #2299305 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

App Installer is not the right one.

• #2299304 Reply
        MarcVRML
        AskWoody Lounger

Nice thought Microfix :-). I just tried that and it popped up a dialog box asking first if I was sure I wanted to uninstall (I clicked “yes”) and then another one stating uninstall had failed, as only apps that are installed can be uninstalled. I’m guessing it’s not there.

• #2299307 Reply
        MarcVRML
        AskWoody Lounger

OK PKCano … well, there’s nothing else that looks even remotely suspicious.

• #2299308 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

well, there’s nothing else that looks even remotely suspicious

1909 Pro. I don’t care for Windows 10 checking for update.
        GP set to Notify don’t download = 2
        Feature updates = 365
        Quality updates = 21

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by Alex5723.
        Attachments:
      • #2299311 Reply
        MarcVRML
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks Alex5723. I just searched my apps list, and the only 2 programs I have with the word “update” in the description are “Apple Software Update” and “Microsoft Edge Update”.

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Automatic Update Group Policy Being Ignored

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.