News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Automatic Update of Word 2019 to Word 365 after Installing an Add-In

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 2019 for PC Automatic Update of Word 2019 to Word 365 after Installing an Add-In

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        anonymous

Today, I was setting up my new laptop with Office 2019 in it. I had to log into my Microsoft account to set it up.

However, after I installed a Word add-in (Perfectit), it opened a Word file with instructions — and I was surprised to see that Word 2019 had become Word 365! I’d very much like to revert to Word 2019. Any idea how it can be done? I tried logging out of my Microsoft account, but it didn’t help.

Thanks!

• #2280976 Reply
        anonymous

So, it turns out that although the laptop came with an Office 2019 license, what was preinstalled on it was Office 365. Now I will have to uninstall Office 365 and replace it with Office 2019. It seems I’ll have to take the laptop back to the laptop dealer for that.

I know Microsoft is pushing 365 hard — but this is  a bit much. And I see from a Web search that others too have had to deal with this.

• #2280986 Reply
          doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

It seems I’ll have to take the laptop back to the laptop dealer for that.

Maybe not, try it yourself first. Sometimes, notebook comes with preinstalled Office 365 package too with some free trial period.
          Update may have set it as default app. Try to click on the *.docx file with right mouse button. Then choose “open with >” and try to look for Word 2019.
          I think, that O365 maybe selected itself as default app. Your licensed Word 2019 may be still installed, but its not default program to open *.docx and other extensions.
          You can check if there are two versions installed via WIN+X, then select “Apps and features”. Are there two instances of MS Office? 365 and 2019?

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• #2281017 Reply
            anonymous

Excellent idea! I did try it, but before I describe what I saw, let me recapitulate. What was preinstalled on the laptop was Word 365. That is what was displayed in Apps and Features. When I complained, the laptop shop technician asked me to update the Office installation. I did so, and after a reboot, I thought the problem was solved. Apps and Features showed Office 2019, and Office 365 had disappeared. My account information also showed Office 2019. Everything seemed fine.

But when I clicked on a document, I saw the 365 splash screen. Could it yet be 2019 despite the splash screen? I’m told that as a branding thing, the 365 splash screen is sometimes shown even if it’s 2019. That doesn’t sound right to me, but what do I know.

I looked at Help to check the Word version. Nothing there! Commendable modesty. I had to actually google to learn how to tell if I’m running 365 or 2019 (!!!), and I learned that if the selected tab is underscored, then it’s 365. 🙂 My selected tab was underscored; it was 365. As a control, I had a look at my son’s laptop, which I’d bought a couple of weeks earlier (the same model). The splash screen in his laptop was Office 2019, and the selected tab in his laptop was not underlined. He was running 2019 alright. In fact, that’s one reason I got the same laptop.

To return to your suggestion. There is Office 2019 in App and Features, and there is also something blandly called Office. My son’s laptop also lists both these programs. And Win 10 does not allow me to change the default program for docx.

The laptop shop technician says that in my son’s case, he first removed the preinstalled 365 and then installed 2019. I’d gone to the shop and told him I’m particular about 2019. In the interim, my area was declared a containment zone, and I could not go to his shop. My laptop was set up in the shop and brought to the border of the containment zone, from where I picked it up. The 2019 installation step was not done. Out of sight, out of mind. He says I can come to the shop when I’ma able to, and he’ll set up 2019 for me, just as it’s nicely set up in my son’s laptop.

I’ve already spent so much time debugging this that I’m not in the mood to dig further. I suppose I could uninstall Office and then try to reinstall it from my account (where it says I have the license for 2019), but enough time has gone down the drain. I think I’ll take the easy way out: wait for the lockdown to end and take it to the laptop shop. He knows what to do.

Thanks for your suggestion. I’d welcome any other ideas – apart from uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks!

• #2281024 Reply
              doriel
              AskWoody Lounger

He says I can come to the shop when I’ma able to, and he’ll set up 2019 for me, just as it’s nicely set up in my son’s laptop.

Then its the easiest way to do so.

My another and last suggestion is to go into control panel and try to associate *.docx extension to Word 2019. Click the yellowed area and have a look, if Word 2019 is in the list.
              select

You can go to this settings like this:
              WIN+X
              Click Settings
              Select Apps
              On the left pane select Default Apps
              Then click on Choose default apps by file type
              Click on the *.docx extension and try to select Word 2019 if available

Hint with pictures here 🙂

Otherwise, give your laptop to your technician, who can solve this issue for you.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Attachments:
              • #2281033 Reply
                anonymous

I tried that. The two programs Win 10 allows me to associate with docx are the same Word and Windows Store.

Nah, they’ve locked down Office on my laptop. I’ll take it to the laptop store as soon as I’m released from my containment zone confinement. Let them fix it.

Thanks! I appreciate your help.

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Automatic Update of Word 2019 to Word 365 after Installing an Add-In

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.