News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Autorun.inf can put a : (colon) in a drive name!

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Autorun.inf can put a : (colon) in a drive name!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        E Pericoloso Sporgersi
        AskWoody Plus

In an external HDD’s root I put an Autorun.inf to make its icon show in File Explorer.
        But some time ago, for a Lacie external HDD on eSATA, I inadvertently typed an error and made Autorun.inf read:
        [autorun]
        ICON = d2_Quadra.ico
        LABEL = Y:\Y_Lacie 1 1TB

Windows gave me no warning that a colon is not allowed in a drive name, but accepted it and showed:

2021-05-10_040344

When I discovered this, I corrected the error. But then, just to test it, I repeated the error in Autorun.inf, and took the screenshot (note that a reboot is required for these changes to show).

Is this an obscure bug in Windows? I have no idea.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

That just looks confusing.
        The drive letter is always at the end in brackets, but you’ve made it look like it has 2 drive letters.

cheers, Paul

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
          AskWoody Plus

That just looks confusing. The drive letter is always at the end in brackets, but you’ve made it look like it has 2 drive letters.

You’re right. And I did say it was an error.

But thinking about it gave me an idea.

This makes more sense, doesn’t it?

2021-05-10_145421

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

‘How to Rename a Drive in Windows 10’

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/53156-change-drive-label-name-windows-10-a.html

When you rename a drive in Windows, the name cannot contain any of the following characters: \ / : * ? ” < > |

However, in reality, it appears that you can – at least I can!
        The Colon > : has been used in my recording below of me renaming the D: Data Drive.
        No warnings that I couldn’t use a colon.
        The drive still holds the changed name with the colons after a restart and importantly allows access.
        The drive will be renamed to its original name.

RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

I find it a bit risky to use this method (AutoRun.inf) to name your drives as it requires AutoRun to be enabled. As a vector for malware I have AutoRun disabled on all of my machines. 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
          AskWoody Plus

I find it a bit risky to use this method (AutoRun.inf) to name your drives as it requires AutoRun to be enabled. As a vector for malware I have AutoRun disabled on all of my machines. 😎

You’re confusing autorun.inf with Autoplay.

I too have Autoplay disabled, for fear of infection. When I insert a DVD or BD, an SD memory card, a USB stick or an external HDD, nothing happens, except it showing up in File Explorer. I have to manually start any action on the medium inserted.

Anyhow autorun.inf still works to name the drive, but I use it mainly to show an icon of my choice, i.e. a small image of the corresponding drive, as shown in the example in my previous post. There’s no security risk because my autorun.infs don’t run any executables. (And absolutely nobody else operates my computer.)

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Autorun.inf can put a : (colon) in a drive name!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.