News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Basic File Explorer question

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Basic File Explorer question

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  BobStr 6 days, 4 hours ago.

• Author

BobStr
      AskWoody Plus

When I have a folder open in File Explorer, what’s the simplest way to open a second File Explorer window?

Clicking on File Explorer itself doesn’t do it, for all that does is put the focus on the folder that’s already open.

I generally use xplorer2, which has dual panes, so this usually isn’t an issue. But I do have a couple shortcuts to folders on my desktop, and when one is already open it would sometimes be convenient to open a second folder.

The workaround I’ve been using is to put yet another shortcut on the desktop, one simply to the C: drive. But this seems benighted, adding clutter that I don’t want.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2138479 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

If you want to open File Explorer in its default open location right click on the icon in the task bar and select “File Explorer”. If you wish to open File Explorer at a particular location from the current File Explorer view just right click on the folder and select “Open in new window”.

--Joe

• #2138741 Reply

anonymous

Alternately when using the taskbar you can depress a shift key while clicking the File Explorer icon to open new windows.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2138807 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

Win key + e

Hope this helps…

• #2138881 Reply

BobStr
        AskWoody Plus

That more than helps. It helps a lot.

Thanks large.

And thanks to you two others who responded.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Basic File Explorer question

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.