News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Best App for System Image Backup?

Posted on WSstarvinmarvin Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1809 – September 2018 Update Best App for System Image Backup?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  agoldhammer 4 days, 13 hours ago.

• Author

WSstarvinmarvin
      AskWoody Lounger

Macrium Reflect Free and Windows 7 (Backup and Restore) are both viable options for creating a System Image type backup. Each program has its own set of features. The problem is that I’ve mostly been doing File History backups for a while, and I can’t remember which program has which features.

For example, which of those two programs will let me use a network drive to create and/or restore a System Image? The network drive is a large capacity internal HDD on another PC which is shared on our home network LAN.

Another example: My C: drive is only using around 50GB of space, so I have 410GB free of 464GB total space on the C: partition. Can I use either program to create and restore a 50GB size System Image without needing to use Windows Disk Management to shrink my C: drive before creating the backup? Or, do both programs require me to shrink the partition in order to get that smaller backup size?

I should know this stuff, but haven’t done it in a quite a while so could use some advice here. Thanks!

C-drive-free-space

Attachments:
    • #1907120 Reply

Bertram Pincus
      AskWoody Lounger

Try Acronis True Image.  I know there’s a free version w/ bells & whistles that’s associated with Western Digital somehow (and now SanDisk?).  Acronis let’s you back-up to your Network drive -I’ve always had hassle free success w/ Acronis.  The trial version on the Acronis website is not the way to go (you can make an Image, but not install it -last I checked, maybe that’s changed).  Perhaps you have a WD or SanDisk drive (even if you don’t, I think you can still use the WD/Acronis version).  Good luck.

• #1907137 Reply

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Try Acronis True Image.  I know there’s a free version w/ bells & whistles that’s associated with Western Digital somehow (and now SanDisk?).  Acronis let’s you back-up to your Network drive -I’ve always had hassle free success w/ Acronis.  The trial version on the Acronis website is not the way to go (you can make an Image, but not install it -last I checked, maybe that’s changed).  Perhaps you have a WD or SanDisk drive (even if you don’t, I think you can still use the WD/Acronis version).  Good luck.

+1
        I use Acronis for years. bi-weekly full back, daily incremental backup.

• #1907143 Reply

Kirsty
        Da Boss

I know there’s a free version w/ bells & whistles that’s associated with Western Digital somehow (and now SanDisk?).

The WD version of Acronis True Image is here and the supported products are listed here.

I was only able to get an external Sandisk drive recognised, not an internal drive, but had no problem with WD drives. The second link above also has access for Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows, which I’ve discovered is a very handy utility.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1907127 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

See this post for suggestions.

Back-up problem

cheers, Paul

• #1907181 Reply

agoldhammer
      AskWoody Plus

I have three PCs at home and use NovaBackup on all three as there is a discount for a three PC license pack.  In addition to carrying out the configured backups on schedule, it includes a disk image utility that creates an OS system image to a separate drive on a weekly basis.  You only have to create a bootable USB thumb drive to reconstruct your system OS in case disaster strikes.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Best App for System Image Backup?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.