Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Best Settings to Lock Down Windows Pro Updates

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Best Settings to Lock Down Windows Pro Updates

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  MrBrian 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

anonymous

OK, thanks to PK, Others, and much research I am gaining knowledge on this subject and thought best to start anew post.

I have gathered all or the most popular settings (tweaks?) to rangle Automatic Updates (programs and drivers) and shown below.

It now appears there are too many ways to tame the Updates, with some perhaps redundant or suggested to Home users vs Pro, so I am seeking clarification and consensus of the best and most complete settings to utilize.

For all our benefit, I would appreciate DETAILS of why use one over the other, what changes will appear on what Windows screens to confirm the action or as a result of the action such as new wording or a new button, and what has to be done to allow some or all updates to take place when we get the all clear.

I know I am asking alot of you experienced folks who have been through this before, but pls dont just say push this, or find that.  Pls take some time to explain.

Here goes:

There is the main Setting>Update & Secuity> Windows Update>Advanced Options
      I read to set this for branch rediness to Semi-Annual Channel (in 1709)
      For Feature update – 365 days
      For Quality update – 30 days
      Pause – leave Off
      Then,
      Reading through these and other Forums, there is this advice:
      Disable Automatic Updates using Group Policy – Configure Automatic Updates>Enabled>Select Item 2.
      Disable Including Drivers with Windows Updates using Group Policy
      Turn off Device Driver Automatic Installation under Devices & Printers in Control Panel
      Disable Windows Update Service under Services

Finally? There is the Hide or Show Windows Update Utility “wushowhide”  Intended to not re-install problematic updates after removing, but per PK can show upcoming updates before they get downloaded.

Thank you very much.

• #175188 Reply

MrBrian
      AskWoody MVP

I intend to research this topic within the next few months. My current plan is listed at https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/so-how-do-you-block-the-upgrade-to-win10-1709/#post-175187.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Best Settings to Lock Down Windows Pro Updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.