News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Best shot EVER?

Home Forums Outside the box Fun Stuff Best shot EVER?

Viewing 12 reply threads
    • Author
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

WOW! this is so amazing:
        practice round at the delayed Augusta Masters 2020..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqwdpPYFKMg

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Tennis, bowls, curling?

cheers, Paul

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

one of the four major tournaments of the sporting season πŸ™‚

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Oh, marbles! Why didn’t you say?

cheers, Paul

Myst
        AskWoody Lounger

We saw that and were totally amazed. It was pure skill in planning the angles and slope. Never ever have seen anyone skip a ball over water before this. I’m not a true fan of golf but this shot may have changed my tune.

Win7 Home x64 MacOS Chromebook

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

the topspin generated on the ball at impact so as not to break the surface tension of the water three times, then continue to it’s INTENDED destination would takes lifetimes to replicate.

Myst
            AskWoody Lounger

Truly, this is history in the making. Being able to hold it together and calculate that destination is what has me floored.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

not to break the surface tension of the water

Nope, that ain’t anything to do with it. Water tension is an extremely small force and a flying golf ball is like a small piece of concrete.

cheers, Paul

doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

Ball has high speed thus high kinetic energy. Impact to the water bounces the ball because of resistance of the water and air borderline. Its a border between two different densities. If the ball was needle, it would go under water. The shape of the ball provides bounce and it depends on the speed of the ball.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Chris Greaves
        AskWoody Plus

For all that Jon Rahm RodrΓ­guez is a Spanish professional golfer, I’d like to see him duplicate the shot across the Golf of Mexico! (grin)

A fabulous (literally) shot.

I am not a golfer, never have been.

My interpretation of this shot is that Jon was aiming to get the ball past the hole, on a slight rise, to allow him to make the next shot downhill towards the hole. Is this correct?

I ask because the ball does seem to go past the hole, and then curve and get drawn by gravity into the hole.

Cheers

Chris

Unless you're in a hurry, just wait.

anonymous

I’d like to see him duplicate the shot across the Golf of Mexico! (grin)

Golf of Mexico? close, he did it there also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QrLSi2q3-k

Myst
          AskWoody Lounger

My interpretation of this shot is that Jon was aiming to get the ball past the hole, on a slight rise, to allow him to make the next shot downhill towards the hole. Is this correct?

I have a strong feeling he never intended to need another shot at the hole.

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Definatelly one of the luckiest, did he won car for this hole in one? Some tournaments have hole-in-one evaluated like this.
        Appendix: I think you cant predict exact bounces from water level. Reminds me of Bazooka shots in Worms Armageddon πŸ˜€

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

The Augusta Masters 2020 hole-in-one happened during the tournament practice sessions (pre-competition)
          no car or prize.

WSbellboy
        AskWoody Plus

He had no intention of having that ball hit the water. If he could have recalled that shot just milliseconds after he hit it, he would have. It was pure luck that ball bounced across the water and into the hole.

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

It’s not luck, it’s become a trick shot on that par 3 hole during practice.

cheers, Paul

George S. Augustas
        AskWoody Plus

Aw, that was just dumb luck! A little skill maybe, and a LOT of luck.

WSbellboy
        AskWoody Plus

It’s not luck, it’s become a trick shot on that par 3 hole during practice.

cheers, Paul

Paul, he may have been trying a trick shot in practice, but it was still just luck that it bounced off the water and went in the hole.

joep517
        AskWoody MVP

First, any hole-in-one has a large degree of luck involved. If it did not there would be many more.

It has become a “thing” during the practice rounds on this hole for these pros to try to skip the ball on the water. Is there luck involved? Absolutely. Also, consider how skilled the pros are at their craft. We mere mortals have no real clue just how good these men and women are. They regularly make shots look easy that would have almost all of us scratching our heads just to try to execute much less be successful.

--Joe

Tchalms
        AskWoody Plus

Well, it looks like I don’t need watch golf anymore, because that was the greatest shot ever and it will never happen again in a gajillion years.

anonymous

https://www.augusta.com/masters/story/news/water-skip-16-must-see-tradition

History of this – not even the first hole in one!

Viewing 12 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Best shot EVER?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.