News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Best way to backup Windows drivers

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1903 – May 2019 Update Best way to backup Windows drivers

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        Tex265
        AskWoody Plus

I’m confused as to the best way to backup and safe keep the Windows drivers in the Windows/System32/DriverStore for my newly installed v1903 Windows.

The simplest I read was to simply copy the folder and paste it to another folder location or even easier, highlight the contents then drag and copy to another folder location.

Then I read about using DISM commands to accomplish the backup, but seems a little more complex that a copy and paste, or highlight and drag.

Then there are the 3rd party programs.

I prefer the first method.  Is there anything incomplete or improper with backing up the Windows drivers this way?

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1909 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 (RIP)
      • #2017037 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

In this Newsletter, Fred Langa talks about driver backup. And there are links in his article to other sources.

• #2017307 Reply
          Tex265
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks, that is one article I remember reading that advocates the DISM method.

However, is there anything incorrect with just copying the drivers in the DriverStore folder and pasting them into a backup folder?  Or drag and copy them into a backup folder?

Other sites and Woody posters advocate for this simplier method.

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1909 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 (RIP)
          • #2017310 Reply
            PKCano
            Da Boss

Did you also see the linked articles in Fred Langa’s post?
            You can copy/paste the folder onto an external drive.

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Best way to backup Windows drivers

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.