News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Big Problem with Win10 VPN

Posted on starbase28 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Big Problem with Win10 VPN

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kirsty 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

starbase28
      AskWoody Lounger

I have not found a solution to this issue with Win10.  Was not an issue in Win7.

When I deploy our work VPN onto 10, I create it for all users.  This is necessary so that the VPN icon shows up on the Win10 logon screen.  Problem is that when I VPN as myself (I am a tech that support our users), it stores my login information in the VPN and leaves it there.  When a user logs on and then connects to the VPN from within Windows, it connects WITH MY CREDENTIALS and when they launch our Employee Self Service site, it displays my personal information.  The only way I can stop this behavior is go into the advanced properties of the vpn and click the stupid “Clear Sign-In Info” button.  The only fix I can find is to edit the properties of the local area connection and disable saving credentials but I have hundreds of users and computers and they will have to lob onto the VPN on each connection.  Unacceptable.  I can also create a separate VPN for each user but then you don’t get the vpn icon on the log in screen.  THIS IS A HUGE SECURITY RISK and they need to put it back the way Windows 7 does it and that is when you create a VPN for all users, it stores their credentials for individually for each profile.  I don’t know if others have found this yet or if Microsoft even knows about this goof but with this and also the fact there is no easy and simple way to set all user options for start menu, desktop, taskbar, default applications and default file associations that don’t break every time Microsoft puts out a release, this OS is woefully not ready for the business environment.  Setting up users, especially hundreds is a royal pain for the tech.  I know that Microsoft wants an all size fits all OS but they should at least add custom code for Enterprise editions or at least for computers that are joined to a domain.  It sdon’t have to be a whole new version, just conditionally add the code to what they have.

Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• #230121 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

Is there one particular OS version of Win10 you are noticing this on, or is it on more than one?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Big Problem with Win10 VPN

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.