News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Big Sur and Monterey are out for Apple

Home » Forums » AskWoody blog » Big Sur and Monterey are out for Apple

Author
    Topic

The unofficial Apple security twitter account posted that there are updates for Big Sur 11.6.1 (if you want to stay on Big Sur) or macOS Monterey 12.0
    [See the full post at: Big Sur and Monterey are out for Apple]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Thanks Susan. By the way, there is a quite recent article published in “Ars Technica” that reviews “Monterrey” extensively. Its URL link can be found here #2397746  , along with some informative excerpts I have taken from it for quick reading.

The main piece of advice, not surprisingly, is: “wait to install Monterrey until its second update (12.2) is out.”

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

Apple hasn’t yet released the security update notes for macOS 12.0.1, macOS 11.6.1, iOS/iPadOS 15.1, Security Update 2021-007 Catalina, watchOS 8.1, and tvOS 15.1, as of October 26, 2021. See https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201222 for the security update notes (that page also doubles as a handy list of updates for all of Apple’s operating systems).

I am staying on High Sierra and Mojave and I see no reason to upgrade. I mainly use VMware Fusion on MacOS, and VMware Fusion 11.5.3 works great on High Sierra and Mojave to run Windows and Linux virtual machines. I am well aware High Sierra and Mojave are out of support and I don’t care as long as VMware Fusion still works.

VMware Fusion 12.x running on Big Sur has a serious performance problem when attempting to run nested virtual machines (running a virtual machine inside another). This problem is on Apple due to problems in Big Sur’s hypervisor API, and has been known since Big Sur was under beta testing. One year later Apple has no intention to fix this problem in Big Sur. This is one of my reasons why I skip Big Sur :
      https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Attempting-to-do-nested-virtualization/td-p/2308242

As for Monterey, I will have to see if this problem will be resolved, and if not I will also skip it. Suits me fine as VMware Fusion 11 works great for me at this time. Even when I decide to adopt Monterey it won’t be until late next year after the latest update (most likely 12.5.x or 12.6.x, before it changes to “Security Support”) is released.

I know the day is numbered concerning running Intel virtual machines under VMware Fusion in MacOS. This currently cannot be done with the new Apple Silicon Macs. When my current Mac machines break down I will most likely abandon MacOS and return to VMware Workstation on Windows.

Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.

I am running Windows on ARM in a Parallels VM on an ARM-based M1 MacMini. At this point, it is an Insider OS.

I have been running Windows since XP on Parallels VMs on Intel Macs. I have even run special applications from the VMs. Example: DiveMeets.com’s MeetControl software connecting to a Daktronics Console and Scoreboard using a USB to DB9 RS232 adaptor, external monitor (Display Port to VGA, HDMI, and Display Port to HDMI), USB printer, and live streaming diving results to the DiveMeets website.

But Paralllels also allows Win10/Win11 and Linux on Intel Macs. Might be worth looking into.

Thanks for your suggestions. However :

(1) The pricing model of Parallels is unacceptable to me. To reach more or less of a feature parity with VMware Fusion (e.g. more than 8GB RAM in the VM) I will have to pay a yearly subscription, which I don’t need to with Fusion. Not to say that VMware Fusion 12.x (non-Pro license) is now free for non-commercial use.

(2) I have built up a large virtual machine library on VMware Workstation in the past and VMware Fusion allows me to use them directly with little or no modification on Intel Macs. No point in switching to Parallels especially since I may need to do a large amount of conversion work.

(3) The ARM version of Windows is not available as a retail license and I don’t see Microsoft changing its stance. I don’t want to use “insider” OS.

I will continue to use VMware Fusion (and VMware Workstation) for as long as I can.

I am staying on High Sierra and Mojave and I see no reason to upgrade. I mainly use VMware Fusion on MacOS, and VMware Fusion 11.5.3 works great on High Sierra and Mojave to run Windows and Linux virtual machines

Why use a Mac at all ? Why not switch to Windows ?

I have been a long time user of VMware Fusion (since 2.0) and VMware Workstation (since 6.x). I have been using Windows since Windows 3.1. I am currently using VMware Fusion 11.5.3 on High Sierra / Mojave and VMware Workstaion 15.5.2 on Windows 8.1.

It is only now that VMware Fusion’s days of running Intel virtual machines are numbered that I am thinking of abandoning MacOS after such a long time, if a way cannot be find to run them on future Apple Silicon Macs with acceptable performance. Originally I planned to get an Apple Silicon Mac but since the ARM version of VMware Fusion (which is now in a Tech Preview) cannot run Intel virtual machines the plan has been put on hold indefinitely.

I have been using Windows since Windows 3.1. I am currently using VMware Fusion 11.5.3 on High Sierra / Mojave

I still don’t understand why use a Mac to run Windows.

The main reason I won’t/can’t switch (back) to Mac is that I don’t won’t to install Windows in order to run some essential/none replaceable Windows software and to continue using my 16TB data on NTFS external drives.

Not sure if I am going to be an early adopter on OS Monterey preferring to let it shake out any last minute bugs and because it does not appear to be packed full of “must have” features to try or use.

As for using VMware and Paralells, well both exceptional products and have certainly come on over the years in features, clarity (of display) and overall performance. Especially compared to “Virtual Box.” However bridged network connections being slow on both the “Guest” machine and dragging back the “Host’s” connection speed seem to be a drawback. The inability to effectively install the VMware tools seems to render the display a little fuzzy. Basically both pricey products compared to Bootcamp being free. I have enjoyed testing the free versions and basically in the near future maybe i’ll move over to those.

Much prefer Bootcamp for the windows alternative, although a bit of a hassle to switch between Mac->Win10 conversely Win10->Mac is a breeze and there is the performance boost no having to share Machine resources at the same time. “Boot-champ” (free util to switch between Mac and Win10,7,8.1 with one click) has an aversion to Big Sur and any Mac with SIP’s or crsutil enable set alas.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    Reply To: Big Sur and Monterey are out for Apple

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.