News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • BIOS does not reboot

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by

mn– 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

fpefpe
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello I was applying updated today and notice that when one of the update

completed, the update did a restart the os shutdown ok but the BIOS never

kicked in to restart the computer

The screen was black, but there was power in the system ( the power button

still was on ) I had to force the computer to power down then have it

start up and the updates continued

Is there any way to debug this issue? or how to fix it?

fpefpe

• #323283 Trash | Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Please, explain what version of Windows are you using and, preferably, also which updates you installed before you had this problem. Others might be able to answer once they know that.

• #323291 Trash | Reply

fpefpe
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello —

Thanks for the reply — –

I first noticed it when  win10 /1809 was updating ( it an hp laptop — they took their time
      getting 1809 out there )

As noted, after  each reboot that 1809 did, I had to power down / power up to get it
      to continue —  other than the human interaction, the update to 1809 was OK

fpefpe

• #323301 Trash | Reply

Arvy
        AskWoody Lounger

Laptops are generally set to use so-called “Fast Startup” for Window 8 and later which is actually similar to the hybrid sleep (“hibernate”) mode of earlier Windows versions.  You might want to try disabling that (see this How-To Geek article) at least temporarily to see if that makes a difference.  It shouldn’t affect reboots, but strange things can happen with OS updates, especially if they include microcode patches.

If that doesn’t help, you might also want to check all settings in the system’s UEFI-BIOS.  The methods for getting into that vary considerably among system OEMs; so you may need to look for details in your system’s user guide.  Or provide some additional info on the model, et cetera, and we’ll try to help.

Asus ROG Maximus XI Code board; Intel i9-9900K CPU; 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM; Nvidia GTX1080 GPU; 2x512 GB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe; 2x2 TB Samsung 860 Pro SSDs; Windows 10.1809; Linux Mint 19.1; Terabyte Backup & Recovery
        • #323333 Reply

anonymous

Some HP computers can accept pressing the escape key on power-up until you see a message that says something like “startup interrupted”, a menu should appear with further instructions.

• #323721 Trash | Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

… since it seems to start the restart procedure but doesn’t seem to complete the shutdown, or trigger the reset and bootup… I’d suspect that the power management driver may be having problems.

Drivers dropping out would, annoyingly, be somewhat typical of Windows 10 feature updates.

I’d suggest reinstalling the manufacturer-provided official drivers. Yes, even if there’s an application that’s supposed to help you with them and it says there’s no new driver versions to install.

Mind you, how long did you wait at the black screen / power on state? In an extreme case I had that part last for 2 hours once and the process completed eventually by itself anyway. Though that was before Windows 10…

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: BIOS does not reboot

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel