News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • BIOS error message

Posted on Vincenzo Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 BIOS error message

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Vincenzo 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

I have a Acer desktop that came with Vista, now running Win 10.

On bootup today it only gets as far as the boot screen, and gives the message:

CMOS checksum error – Defaults loaded
      Warning:System is now in Safe Mode
      Please reset CPU frequency in CMOS setup.

I went into every page in the BIOS but could not find anything that refers to CPU frequency.

So I had it load the system default settings, and it is working again.

Any thoughts on what might have happened here? I am wondering if it is reaching end of life.

Thanks

• #1763146 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

That’s an older system. If you haven’t changed the CMOS battery on the motherboard, you might start there. One of those coin-sized batteries, possibly a 2032.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1763158 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

Also, on older systems/Notebooks one might see an encapsulated battery that may be made up of 2 or 3 smaller batteries, those may be harder to find.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"
    • #1763216 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

I have a Acer desktop

If you post the exact model no. of the Acer it be possible to find a schematic of the mainboard showing where the CMOS battery is located or use somethin like Speccy to identify the mainboard (Direct download link for Speccy Portable: Speccy).

Hope this helps…

• #1764717 Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

Good idea to change battery. I should be able to find it.

Thanks

• #1839264 Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

I replaced the 2032 battery a few days ago. No error messages since then.

Thanks for the help.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: BIOS error message

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.