News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • bitdefender : win takes 2 min to startup – solution or alternative?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Questions: Win 8.1 (and Win 8) bitdefender : win takes 2 min to startup – solution or alternative?

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Author
        krism
        AskWoody Plus

bitdefender : win takes 2 min to startup – solution or alternative?

When I boot, I will get the desktop but most icons are blank and it takes up to 2 minutes for them to appear and win to fully start. I uninstall BD and prob goes away.

Any solution or alternative?

Many thanks!!!

This is a relatively fast system with i5 and Sammy SSD.

This is/was the free version of BD AV and only option is protection or no.

– ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz, Win8.1 Pro x64 (with OpenShell), 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 250GB SSD. –

• This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by krism.
      • #2142069 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Suggestion: With BD uninstalled, try enabling Windows Defender as the AV and see if it is faster. Defender is supposed to be pretty good now and is available on Win8.1.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2146527 Reply
        krism
        AskWoody Plus

Suggestion: With BD uninstalled, try enabling Windows Defender as the AV and see if it is faster. Defender is supposed to be pretty good now and is available on Win8.1.

just saw this – I updated and chose to use defender right after taking down BD. Just timed it from cold start and it takes 27 sec. Is that normal? Thanks!

• #2148409 Reply
        anonymous

30 seconds is acceptable, but it could maybe be made slightly faster.  In task manager, look at the startup tab to see things that load at boot.  Ones that may reduce speed are marked as having high impact.  Any can be disabled by right clicking.

• #2150892 Reply
        krism
        AskWoody Plus

30 seconds is acceptable, but it could maybe be made slightly faster.  In task manager, look at the startup tab to see things that load at boot.  Ones that may reduce speed are marked as having high impact.  Any can be disabled by right clicking.

Thanks – I did find a couple – Canon quick start and Macrium reflect UI, and disabled both but on a cold start it still takes 27secs from the time the desktop first appears with the blank icons, for the icons to be filled in and startup finishes.

So I thought I’d experiment and d/l the latest free BD AV and installed it and then tested it from power off. Twice. Now it only takes 23 seconds.  Go figure! So I guess the/a “solution” to long startup times with BD is simply uninstall it, and the “BD Agent”, d/l the latest, and re-install it.

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by krism.
      • #2152798 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

it still takes 27secs from the time the desktop first appears with the blank icons

Do you have 2 A/V running which may collide at startup ?.
        Is BD set to full scan on startup ?

• #2153027 Reply
        krism
        AskWoody Plus

it still takes 27secs from the time the desktop first appears with the blank icons

Do you have 2 A/V running which may collide at startup ?.
        Is BD set to full scan on startup ?

No. When I uninstalled BD I immediately got 2 flags on the Action center telling me to update WinDefender, which it was then using, so of course I updated it. I then ran WinDef for the next day – until yesterday when as I said above I experimented and re-installed BD. Installing BD takes WD out of use.  Checking Action Center, only BD is there. I suppose WD still exists on the system but just isn’t being used.

full scan on startup?

a) I wouldn’t know how to do that – I don’t see the option (remember this is the free version)

b)it would take a number of minutes so it would be pretty obvious and it would show up on BD’s log (when you click “show”)

• #2153034 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

b)it would take a number of minutes so it would be pretty obvious and it would show up on BD’s log (when you click “show”)

I use Kaspersky A/V which scans the system, startup services, RAM… at startup. There is no log for that.

• #2153196 Reply
        krism
        AskWoody Plus

I use Kaspersky A/V which scans the system, startup services, RAM… at startup. There is no log for that.

BD free may be doing things like that. Dunno. I know it checks modules I download and sites I visit.

I won’t touch Kaspersky. Just personal choice.

• #2153539 Reply
        krism
        AskWoody Plus

New discovery – I was playing with windows performance recorder (looking at boot trace) and though I didn’t totally understand what it was telling me, FreeMake was blatantly obvious in the first run. I vaguely remember googling for info about that and basically getting “nobody knows” and googled again. I checked c/ program files and there was a folder there but it was empty(I figured I had been this route for something else before and had uninstalled it. ? ). I checked services and it was there, so I set it to “disabled”.

Now when I boot, when I get to desktop, the icon refresh and taskbar refresh is/are almost instantaneous, though the little B icon for BD doesn’t appear bottom right until maybe after another 30 seconds. I do not know if that means that I am not protected during that time, or just that I can’t access the scan request thing. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT QUESTION – maybe I should start a new thread for that FreeMake thing…?

• #2153540 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

FreeMake is explained here:
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemake_Video_Converter

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox80.0b3 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
      • #2153544 Reply
        krism
        AskWoody Plus

thanks to both – the service name is FreeMake Improver. So you think it is just a thing that got installed when I tried FreeMake video thing in times past???  So if that’s true I can safely remove it… (I had and have been trying to find a good online of app to convert a youtube video to a re-sized mp3)

• #2153554 Reply
          geekdom
          AskWoody Plus

Please research further to determine if this software is part of the FreeMake family.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
          offline▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
          online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox80.0b3 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
      • #2153575 Reply
        krism
        AskWoody Plus

Please research further to determine if this software is part of the FreeMake family.

LOL – yup!

I keep junk like that in my E partition (35GB) and there it was – freemake video converter. so I installed it, checked the service and it was running. Uninstalled it and service-not. Tried another freemake thing but same service and running, uninstalled, and disabled service. I put a note to myself on my laptop to remind me. Thanks all!!!

Oh, by the way, I notice now that on startup the B icon appears immediately, so no concern there – must have been just a one-time thing.

Thanks all!

• #2153582 Reply
          geekdom
          AskWoody Plus

Third-party software can be very problematic.

• Make sure all software is quality.
          • Make sure no software has been bundled and installed on your system.
          • Check to see what is running when your computer starts.
          • Check to see what is running in the background.

Practice safe computing.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
      • #2153587 Reply
        krism
        AskWoody Plus

Third-party software can be very problematic.

• Make sure all software is quality.
        • Make sure no software has been bundled and installed on your system.
        • Check to see what is running when your computer starts.
        • Check to see what is running in the background.

Practice safe computing.

I just did a brief chat with the folks at BD and let them know my finding. Hopefully they will add a comment to their “FAQ”. I don’t know where else I could put it.

[Moderator edit to remove dismissive comment]

• #2153595 Reply
          geekdom
          AskWoody Plus

The problem was not Bit Defender. The problem is that you had other unessential software running which was not noticed by you.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
          • This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by geekdom.
    Viewing 13 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: bitdefender : win takes 2 min to startup – solution or alternative?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.