News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• BitLocker – Very Strange Behavior

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 BitLocker – Very Strange Behavior

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        pmokover
        AskWoody Plus

I use BitLocker on several external USB drives connected to my various PCs for backup purposes. All of these drives are Samsung SSD model T7 2TB. All of my PCs are running the 20H2 version of Windows 10 Pro with the latest updates.

BitLocker recently started having some very strange behavior when any of the USB drives are connected to my main PC:

1. When I unlock one of the USB drives I get the usual message on my screen verifying that the drive is now unlocked. However, I am not able to access the drive from Windows File Explorer – even though it’s now unlocked.

2. Once a drive is unlocked, when I click on it in File Explorer a box opens in the upper right corner of my screen with this message: “BitLocker (Z:) The drive protected by BitLocker Drive Encryption is Already Unlocked.” If I press the Esc key the message disappears but I still can’t access the drive from File Explorer.

3. In File Explorer the icons for the USB drives always indicate that the drives are locked even when they are actually unlocked.

4. The strangest thing: After I unlock a USB drive, if I go into the Windows Disk Management utility and change the drive letter of that drive I then can access it from File Explorer.

5. I use a batch file to automate my backup process. The batch file unlocks one of the USB drives, copies files to it then locks the drive. That still works perfectly.

Again, this happens with any of my BitLocker protected external USB drives when they are connected to my main PC and this started within the past few weeks..

This behavior is so strange I’m not even sure where to look. Any clues or suggestions appreciated.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

[off topic]

If you need to rebuild your PC, how do you unlock the USB drives?
        Can you do it on another PC?

[/off topic]

cheers, Paul

pmokover
          AskWoody Plus

I am able to unlock and read my USB drives on my other PCs.  The problems I described in my original post apply only to my main PC.

b
        AskWoody MVP
          pmokover
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the info!!  Right-click then Open does work!

I will read the rest of the article and see if it has a fix.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          b
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: BitLocker – Very Strange Behavior

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.