• Bitlocker, Windows 10 Home, and Dell AIO

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Questions: Win10 » Bitlocker, Windows 10 Home, and Dell AIO

Tags:

Author
    Topic

One year old Dell AIO, Windows 10 Home 21H2, used as the family computer. One day the father sits down at the computer, shakes the mouse to wake it up and is presented with a blue screen requesting a bitlocker key. Dad barely knows the difference between left click and right click on the mouse, scratches his head and calls me for help. Bottom line, Dell and according to Dell support forums other manufacturers are enabling bitlocker by default, saving the PIN in TPM or equivalent (hope I have that right?), and in many cases the bitlocker key is not stored in the owners online or Azure account, definitely not stored anywhere easily accessible for a Windows local account or for the typical home end user. Unless you want to drop $600 for a bitlocker key cracking program you are SOL, your data and photos, videos of the puppy growing up are no longer accessible. I run thru reloading Windows 10 using the built in Dell massaged Windows factory online reinstall process and sure enough bitlocker is enabled the same way with the Windows 10 Home reload. This seems stupid to me.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Bitlocker, Windows 10 Home, and Dell AIO

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: